PowerDVD 4 XP error message

Happy37 07:52 17 Dec 04

I hope that someone can help out there with a problem that I've just started having with PowerDVD4 XP on my newly built and recently acquired Pentium4, 3.2Ghz, Hyper-Threading, 1GB RAM, 80gb and 200gb hard drives and a 256MB Radeon 9600 Advantage PRO DDR TV Out DVI-I graphics card.

I'm running Windows XP SP1.

If I play DVD’s in PowerDVD, they all play fine, yet as soon as I enter the "configuration" tab where it has all the tabs for "skins", "audio", "video", "parental control" etc…

My problem comes as and when I click the very last tab for "information" in the configuration applet.

As soon as I do so, PowerDVD freezes and displays an error message as below: -

"PowerDVD has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost."

Would it be helpful for me to totally uninstall and reinstall the program, or should I just switch to the new PowerDVD 6?

Thanks for any help and suggestions that will be provided.

Diodorus Siculus 07:57 17 Dec 04

An uninstall / reinstall should not cause a problem. Is there anything special you are looking for under "information"?

Anyway, it could be something to do with a damamged DLL or the like which a reinstall may help.

Happy37 08:03 17 Dec 04

I have already tried to reinstall and uninstall the program and it hasn't worked, so I don't know where to go or what to try from here.

Thanks for the reply.

Happy37 11:15 17 Dec 04

Please could anybody help out there who has come across this error before or something similar, as I would like to try to resolve it this weekend and come back here and post my results next week.

Thanks again - all suggestions and help is appreciated.

Stuartli 11:45 17 Dec 04

Have you installed the individual patch for the various PowerDVD versions from the Cyberlink website?

The only time I had trouble with PowerDVD was on a friend's system which had version 3.0 installed.

I updated it for him to version 5.0 and it wouldn't show anything other than the startup screen as well as the message "TV port not working."

After much messing about, it turned out that it was due to the Video Banshee 3dfx card's driver being out of date.

However finding the driver proved, amazingly, a very difficult task and it was only some hours later that I found it on a Mexican website...:-)

Happy37 12:38 17 Dec 04

Stuartli

Thanks for the reply.

My Radeon 9600 has got the latest drivers for it and it is a brand new graphics card that I recently purchased.

Apart from that, I also received the "TV port not working." message on my other PC system, which incidentally was resolved by upgrading the graphics card drivers for the card in that machine.

Thanks again - all suggestions and help is appreciated.

Anthing else that I can try?

I am the bearer of bad news. Power DVD 4 does not function correctly with Hperthreading machines. I believe you can download an update for it from the the cyberlink websire. I tried to find the link for you but there seems to be a problem at the moment.

I had exactly the same problem with version 4..

Stuartli 17:47 17 Dec 04

You can access updates at:

click here

Happy37

I've also pointed out that a new driver cured the "TV Port not working" problem, but it was a real struggle to actually find it. Strange for a 3dfx card...:-(

Stuartli 17:49 17 Dec 04

Use the Support tab for patches etc.

Happy37 08:19 21 Dec 04

I will be purchasing PowerDVD 6 Deluxe in the near future and I will use that on the new P4, Hyper-Threading PC.

Hopefully, that should solve all the problems that I have been experiencing with PowerDVD 4 XP.

I will post again in the near future to let you all know how I will fare with PowerDVD 6 Deluxe.

Thanks once again for all the help and suggestions that were provided to enable me to solve my problem.

Happy37 13:20 07 Jan 05

As I stated on 21/12/2004, I have recently purchased PowerDVD 6 Deluxe and have installed it on the new P4, Hyper-Threading PC.

I have now totally got rid off PowerDVD 4 XP, and am enjoying a trult cinematic experience with PowerDVD 6 Deluxe.

It works perfectly on the PC with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks once again for all the help and suggestions that were provided to enable me to solve this problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017