power/chassis fan not running?

cdb 19:56 11 Apr 03

According to Asus Probe on my pc, the chassis and power fans are showing 0. I take it means they aren't working. Can this kill my pc? It might explain why my pc sounds so quiet. (Amd athalon xp1800+ , windows xp)

Paranoid Android 20:10 11 Apr 03

Sometimes fans run at a low speed that cannot be detected by the software. This is quite common with BIOS fan monitors. Take a look at the fans and/or feel for an airflow - it will be obvious if they have stopped.

CPU temperature is the one you need to watch.

Marvin

cdb 20:25 11 Apr 03

cpu temp is 62, motherboard is 33

Paranoid Android 20:54 11 Apr 03

A little high but not critical. 38 - 45 degrees is more common for this type of chip, but on-board sensors vary and cannot be considered accurate.

If it gets above 65 I would start to worry.

Try downloading Motherboard Monitor click here and see if that reads any different.

Marvin.

Paranoid Android 20:55 11 Apr 03

A little high but not critical. 38 - 45 degrees is more common for this type of chip, but on-board sensors vary and cannot be considered accurate.

If it gets above 65 I would start to worry.

Try downloading Motherboard Monitor click here and see if that reads any different.

Marvin.

tartanterror 00:01 12 Apr 03

wouldn't worry to much the asus probe does not pick up my case fan either my old fan or my new neon blue led one.
i know for sure its working though.

DieSse 00:58 12 Apr 03

It probably means

The chassis fan has no speed sensor, or it's not connected to a speed sensing connector - many chassis fans only have two wires (no speed sensing) - or are connected to a disk power connector (no sensing circuit)

The power fan - many power supplies have no speed sensor, nor the output to connect to a motherboard speed sensor.

The only way to cross check is to look for the above points - and also check the fans are actually gong.

Naseby 2 10:07 12 Apr 03

Have an Asus with probe but if the fan is at the back and connected there it may not be recognised.There is a place for a front fan and connection and it may be that one is recognised by probe that is if there is room to fit it.

cdb 14:11 12 Apr 03

just got the side of my pc open and all three visible fans are working. One of them looks somewhat battered tho and has been partially worn away. I think it could be time to get onto Evesham to get them to replace it.
Thanx for all your help.

cdb 14:39 12 Apr 03

It was the psu fan I guess, only visible from outside the case. The (Chassis?) fan on the back of the case has a blade missing and the cpu fan over the heatsink has quite abit of erosion on the blades. Another (labelled cpu cooling on the m/b) looks ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…