'Power' used by normal PC set up

Gugs 11:51 21 Oct 03

Our Granddaughter is combining with a group of friends at University to Network their PCs onto a broadband set up. They need to know total cost for sharing and,working on the assumption of keeping PC on line all day (which I have advised against), How much per hour would normal working - PC. printer, scanner - cost in electricity.[Yes I know it would depend on a variety of variables but those of you with granddaughters will know the simplest thing for Granddads to do is to come up with an answer].
My apologies for the triviality of this posting.
Cheers.

DieSse 12:31 21 Oct 03

On average, I doubt it would take more than 300W per system - with laptops probably not more than 150W.

You'll have to look on your electricity bill for how much a Unit (1 Unit = 1 KwHr = 1000W per hour) is - I'm not in the UK.

hugh-265156 13:02 21 Oct 03

click here for a rough guide to wattage required.

Gugs 20:34 22 Oct 03

to you both.

woodchip 20:42 22 Oct 03

You are talking minimal not as above as they only work on low volts about 5 to 12 volts the monitor is what uses power so switch it of when it's not being used

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:52 22 Oct 03

The above site only shows the amount of power needed to run various bits of hardware. It is unlikely that all the peripherals will be running at once or for extended periods. Assuming that the domestic tariff is being paid and that they intend to drift into lectures at some point, Assuming that they set their computer screens to turn off after 10 mins or so when unattended, I would imagine that the average usage would be 40watts/hour/each computer unit. This takes into account the fact that they will be going on the lash in the student bar and getting some kip in as well. This equates to .96KW/day and would cost around 10p ish + the blood-sucking VAT.

*lecture*..... Some would say that they are being ultra-selfish leaving the PCs online all day. It takes little effort to connect and disconnect. It also frees up bandwidth for less blessed mortals. No one needs instant emails when they are out ;-)))

G

Djohn 20:55 22 Oct 03

As woodchip says, turn off the monitor when not in use and really the cost is not worth worrying about if the PC is not in use most of the day.

The current drawn while everything is in standby is minimal. Normal running will not exceed more than a few pence per day.

If in fairly constant use over a twelve hour period using the CD drives/internet/printer/scanner, then approximately 40p per day, not counting the cost of ink/Paper. j.

Djohn 21:09 22 Oct 03

Sorry, I made a mistake in my figures above. The 40p is a guide given from a couple of different sources for a "24" hour period.

So for the 12 hours I stated above, say 20p at most. j.

fred 21:19 22 Oct 03

I have three machines running UD 24/7 The monitors are set to switch off after 10 min. I estimate the electricity cost to be about 25p a day for the three machines (combined). This is from my electricity bills.

Please note: The DVD and CD drives are very seldom used.

Gugs 22:56 22 Oct 03

You've been a great help.

Cheers.

Forum Editor 07:19 23 Oct 03

was to buy them a broadband router they wouldn't need to leave a computer running all day. The router would have to run, but that consumes about as much power as a gnat at cruising speed, and it will have its own firewall to keep any passing Internet sad people out.

Then, whoever was in could simply use their computer(s) as and when they liked - it wouldn't be necessary to leave a machine running at all.

Even if a doting granfather didn't buy the router, the £140 or so that it would cost them wouldn't make much of a dent in a clutch of student loans, compared to the advantage gained.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…