Power Switch Issue?

PeteStarr 12:55 04 Jul 08

Hello!

I recently built my own computer out of the parts, which is the first time i have done so, however i felt confident and indeed when putting it together didn't have any problems.

However when i had finished building it, I switched the screen and PSU on, at which point the motherboard led came on. Thinking this was all fine, i turned on my computer at the case switch. Nothing happened.

Desperately I took the panels off, and checked all the connections, all fine. I stripped off the front panel and pressed the switch, at which point it whirred into life perfectly. I installed Vista etc without problem and turned it off again. I then switched off and put all the panels back. But when i tried to switch on again nothing happened. Sighing i started to open the case and turn it over, forgetting to turn the power off. Halfway over it whirred into life, and worked perfectly. Since then whenever i press the power switch, nothing happens, but if i tilt it about 30 degrees it comes on. After it is on it has no problems whatsoever, and will run indefinitely, so i don't think its a hardware problem.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on? I think at the moment the case is broken, but that wouldn't explain why it comes on when i tilt it. Obviously i don't want to keep tilting it all the time. These are the specs of my computer, if anyone needs brands or models i can give them.

Coolermaster CM690 case
Asus P5K-E Mobo
Intel q6600 GO SLACR CPU
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT GPU
4GB PC8500 RAM
580W PSU
500GB HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

Tell me if there's anything i missed

Technotiger 13:31 04 Jul 08

Hmm, one thing puzzles me - surely you don't operate the PSU separately, pressing the case switch (normally at the rear) and then press the start-up button on the front the, PSU should come to life, with the PC going through its' normal start-up routine.

Technotiger 13:33 04 Jul 08

Also, and probably more relevant - sounds like a loose connection possibly in the front panel area.

PeteStarr 13:38 04 Jul 08

"Hmm, one thing puzzles me - surely you don't operate the PSU separately, pressing the case switch (normally at the rear) and then press the start-up button on the front the, PSU should come to life, with the PC going through its' normal start-up routine."

I'm not too sure what you mean, when I started it up I turned it on at the plug, then at the PSU switch, then on the PC case switch. Now I just turn it on with the front switch, and then tilt it :D

"Also, and probably more relevant - sounds like a loose connection possibly in the front panel area."

That's what i think. It must register something though because it doesn't turn on just by tipping, you have to press the button first. And its not front panel issues as thats mechanical not electrical, and the same thing happens with it off

Technotiger 13:43 04 Jul 08

I have to go out now, I will look in later to see if you are making any progress. Good luck.

woodchip 13:45 04 Jul 08

Could be the pins that you put the power plug on for start switch is a loose connection. May need crimping with pliers a wee bit. Or not pressed on far enough

woodchip 13:47 04 Jul 08

PS to check you can use the reset switch on the start pins as it only the same switch does the same job of momentary shorting the pins to start the comp

David4637 13:52 04 Jul 08

Try replacing the dodgey on/off switch with a new switch, make sure its not near any metal turn it on then switch on at the mains - this will test it to see if its OK. If its not OK buy a replacement switch that fits the front of the case. David

PeteStarr 15:04 04 Jul 08

@ Technotiger: thanks very much
@ Woodchip: I did check to make sure all the power connections, and as it stays on once its on would it really be that? If you meant something else i'm not 100% sure what you meant so correct me. Also I'm not sure what the "reset switch on the start pins" is, though I'll check in the manuals
@ David: its not the power switch on the PSU that's a problem, its the button that turns the PC on at the front of the case. Its not really an on/off switch, so if you turn it on before the power nothing will happen surely? I don't know. I've no idea where to get a replacement switch either

woodchip 15:45 04 Jul 08

The start switch and reset switch only close the circuit momentary then the switch as no significance on the running of the computer so you can switch these over just to make sure its not the switch. the switch only shorts the pins its connected to for the mobo to take over running.

PS in other words you can use a screwdriver to touch both "power pins simultaneous, at the same time to start the computer

rdave13 17:07 04 Jul 08

As well as the above suggestions make sure the power plug is firmly inserted into the psu. Had similar problems a while back, PC wouldn't start but when I moved it, it fired up. Eventually I heard the sound of arcing. Realised what it was and had to firmly press the plug into the psu and all ok. Three years on and the psu died on me as a result I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…