power surge on usb hub

dazzlet2004 23:41 15 Apr 06

hi i have a toshiba satellite s10 laptop. when i plug any device weather it be a camera or a printer directly into the back of the laptop into either one of its 2 usb ports a message comes up saying power surge on usb hub click this baloon to try and solve the problem. when i click the baloon it gives me a list of 8 usb ports (i dont know why 8 because there are only 2 on the laptop) the top one says unknown device so the laptops usb port knows that there is something there it just wont recognise what and give me the same error message all the time any ideas why this could be happening or how to stop it happening and make my usb ports work again. please somebody help i am going out of my mind trying to find out what is wrong.
ps i am using windows xp pro with service pack 2.

thanks daz

terryf 23:47 15 Apr 06

Have you tried going to device manager and see if any yellow signs against usb devices? otherwise try un-install usb devices in device manager and let windows find them again. You may find that there is capability for 8 devices on mobo but physically only 2 sockets

dazzlet2004 23:49 15 Apr 06

i have tried removing the ports in device manager and then letting windows find them again. there are no yellow problem marks or anything. i tried a usb memory pen in one of the ports the light on the memory pen came on meaning power was getting there but it would not tell me or acnowlege that anything was connected to the port.

remind 23:52 15 Apr 06

Does it happen regardless of whether you have the the laptop plugged in to the mains or on battery power?

dazzlet2004 00:10 16 Apr 06

yes the problem happens reguardless of if the mains power is plugged in or if it is running on battery power.

thanks

terryf 00:21 16 Apr 06

If the laptop is still within guarantee perhaps back to Tosh, hardware problem on mobo?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5