power supply won't switch off

s99Raj 23:38 04 Sep 05

I've just done a System Recovery on an e-machine using their recovery disks and I have a problem which was there before I did this. When I go to Shut Down everything does so as normal except for the fan on the power supply, which just keeps whirring, and the only way to switch the pc off is at the mains. This happens with the old power supply and even a brand new one I've tried.

Where could I try next? Cheers.

s99Raj 23:50 04 Sep 05

any ideas anyone?

Rico2005 23:58 04 Sep 05

is this a pc or a laptop?

if pc you may have a pb with power supply heating up...suggest swap for another one from a friend pc... and try. If not working, then you may need to upgrade the bios... but don't do it without supervised expert advice. If pc under warranty, then avoid doing this trick and back to manufacturer/reseller...pronto

if laptop from time to time faster may still run coz of the bios not reinstated properly or protection for overhearing issue... think to avoid "hot" places

DieSse 00:56 05 Sep 05

It sounds like it's not actually shutting down, but hibernating or going into some other deep suspension state. Check the BIOS settings for power.

Giggle n' Bits 01:04 05 Sep 05

as they do effect shutdown and power issues in a way.

Also you don't happen to live in the North maybe Manchester or Surrounding areas which were effected by servere Thunder & Lightning storms followed by Power cut ?.

I would pull out your Dial up modem then reboot then try a full shut down again.

s99Raj 21:50 05 Sep 05

This is with a desktop, and happens even with a new power supply. The graphics drivers are loaded and (I assume) OK since I did a Recovery to factory default using the supplied Recovery discs that came with the machine.

I've tried removing the internal battery for a few minues and replacing it. I've loaded the BIOS defaults. I've removed the modem, graphics card and memory but I still get the same problem.

When I don't connect the floppy and switch off, only the psu fan keeps spinning. If I do connect the floppy and switch off, the keyboard lights flash on and off very rapidly and the floppy drive spins as if trying to accessing a floppy in there.

The only conclusion I can come to is some fault on the motherboard, unless someone else knows different?

Gongoozler 22:08 05 Sep 05

This site covers most of the causes of Windows failing to shut down properly click here. The last time I had this problem it was caused by Norton AV trying to check the floppy drive at shutdown.

s99Raj 22:18 05 Sep 05

Norton AV is not installed on the pc. Also I forgot to mention that this happened shortly after last Thursdays lightning storm! The pc works perfectly fine except for this annoying shutdown problem.

woodchip 22:19 05 Sep 05

As I said I think in another thread of yours if this is a Old computer then The operating System cannot turn it of as it works different on old MOBO and Power Supply

s99Raj 22:22 05 Sep 05

This pc is only about 18 months old and everything was fine up until the storm last week.

s99Raj 19:20 06 Sep 05

This doesn't appear to be an XP issue. I removed the hard drive and replaced it with one containing Windows 98 SE, and the pc experienced the same problem on shutdown.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…