Power supply upgrade

thewasp 16:57 21 Jan 08

My current 300w psu has been working fine now for 4 years, but the fan is a little noisy on startup.

I am planning to replace it with something the same or a bit more powerful.

This may seem a daft question but will a 400w psu constantly use more power than a 300w, even on standby for example?

There seems to be a lot of dirt cheap items on the market, how much should I pay for a quiet 350w and what should I look for?

Diodorus Siculus 17:00 21 Jan 08

Get a quality one - it will be more stable as well as running quieter.

I generally use the midrange hiper PSUs from Novatech.

They will only use as much electricity as they need at any time as I understand it,

For about £40 you should get a perfectly good one; just ensure that it has the currect connections for your machne.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 21 Jan 08

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…