Power supply trouble

jut200 16:32 06 Apr 05

I recently bought a new sli pc,it ran very well until I played games for a while and then the psu popped loudly,tripped the house and blew fuses.The psu is 550w colorsit,I rang the company and they are sending me a new one insisting it blew randomly.But I suspect this brand is quite underpowered for the job.Does anyone have any helpfull info on power supplies?

citadel 18:14 06 Apr 05

even the best quality psu's can fail, I have never come across the colorsit brand. If you are worried about it you can get one by the likes of zalman etc that give stable 12v rails.

DieSse 18:17 06 Apr 05

550Watt is probably well overpowered to run even a well specified modern PC. So I think they are probably correct - it's just a random failure.

But - PSUs that go bang may just blow the PSU - I have known them blow just about eveything in the sysytem, and all variations in between.

So if your system doesn't just power up, don't necessarily suspect the new PSU, and be prepared to dump the whole lot back to the supplier for a complete re-build.

I'm not trying to overworry you - but forarmed of forewarned, so to speak,

jut200 18:24 06 Apr 05

Thanks for replying citadel and DieSse,ill see how the new one goes and if the pc is ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…