power supply problem with dell dimension 5150

wigan meat pie 09:03 03 Sep 07

Hi there

my dell dimension 5150 was correctly powered down and when i re-powered up it went to blinking amber on the power switch. took the side panel off and saw the green light on the mother board but nothing happening, i.e psu not kicking into life

any suggestions, i think possibly psu has maybe had a bit of a power surge ? and blown something in itself

if so where the heck can i get another, dell web site is not very helpfull

the machine is a dell 5150 and about 16 mobths old

thanks

Technotiger 09:37 03 Sep 07

For Dell PSU ... click here

It seems lots of people having same problems with Dell PSU.

Technotiger 09:39 03 Sep 07

I meant to include this link as well ..

click here

wigan meat pie 09:52 03 Sep 07

thanks technotiger but the power supply code l305p-00 is/ does not appear to be listed?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:55 03 Sep 07

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

total_pc 14:53 03 Sep 07

Im pretty sure Dell power supplies are not standard and have different pin outs. I think you will need to replace with the correct part - not an off the shelf one.

wigan meat pie 15:01 03 Sep 07

thanks to everybody who has helped so far but where do i buy the b£"$"£$y thing

(l305p-00 for a dimension 5150)

dell web site does not seem to offer power supplies

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:38 03 Sep 07
  Totally-braindead 15:42 03 Sep 07

See if ITC have it click here

setecio 17:05 03 Sep 07

Bookmarked for Fruitbat info, thanks.

atrhocking 09:05 03 Jun 09

I replaced a PSU on a Dell Dimension 5150 yesterday which was having the same issue. I installed a standard 600W PSU, screw fixings are in the standard place and the main board is a standard ATX form factor. The fit is slightly off due to the fact dell have put in a sliding bracket just to be difficult and charge you twice as much.

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced