Power supply problem?

Rich84 10:57 15 May 04

I have been experiencing difficulties for a week or two when starting my PC after it has been off for some time (is this called a cold boot?). There is a long delay (up to two or three minutes with no apparent HDD activity)and then the monitor switches on and it boots up. In a previous attempt to resolve this issue I was advised that it may be a problem with the power supply. Since then I've checked that the power supply and cpu fans are working, which they are and realised that the power light doesn't come on at all. I have been having problems with my viruscan, which I think are now resolved and that doesn't seem to be loaded until the boot up proper has started anyway. Anyone got any thoughts?

961 11:41 15 May 04

Loose cables to power plugs and or hard drive?

Loose connector to front case lights etc?

Hard drive failing?

Motherboard failing?

New battery required?

Run on line virus check

Go back to ok working via system restore?

How old is computer. which o/s?

Rich84 11:57 15 May 04

That's quite a scary list. Can you suggest how I might check some of these? Particularly the battery, MBO and HDD.
The Pc is a couple of years old running W98( first edition).

961 17:51 15 May 04

Well first, if there is any sort of warranty on the system, use that. Remember some manufacturers have a long period of phone assistance available for hardware faults which may go so far as cover for parts but not labour

Second, back up any important files onto cd or floppy

Third, get the virus worry out of the way. Either run an on line virus check or scrap the existing virus checker and download free from Avast and then run complete system check

You don't say if you are used to rootling around inside your computer. If not, then this is probably the time to seek help via a local computer independent if you can find one, or if you like, a phone help line such as the one that PCAdvisor operates

If you are, then unplug the machine from the mains, attach earth strap to wrist and check all cable connections. The fault you describe sounds as if there is a loose or failing connection or circuit board which corrects itself as the motherboard and system warms up to operating temperature

The fault may also be a failing battery on the motherboard. The answer here is obvious and your computer/motherboard handbook should indicate the type and how to replace it

Because system restore is not available on W98 that is about as far as my brain goes at the moment. If you have a copy of SiSoft Sandra from a cover disc that might just indicate a problem

woodchip 17:53 15 May 04

Have you fitted new Hardware just before the problem started

Rich84 18:14 15 May 04

Thanks for all the advice. There is no warranty and I've backed up all important files. I'm satisfied that it's not a virus problem and I'm happy to have a rummage inside the case. I don't have a handbook for the motherboard and don't know what it is at this point?
Regarding hardware. The only recent addition is a 4-port USB hub which appears to be functioning OK.

VoG II 18:17 15 May 04

If you download click here it will tell you what motherboard you have. If you post the info here somebody can probably find where you can download a manual from.

961 18:48 15 May 04

What are you running from the USB hub? Do the items have their own power supply?

If your computer was built by one of the major companies it may have a power supply which does not have a lot of spare capacity, and if you are running things like a scanner which draw their power need from the computer via the hub then that may be causing the problem

If you disconnect the hub do things improve?

Rich84 19:14 15 May 04

The hub has its own power supply and there's nothing else running off the PC's power supply.
I,m not getting any beeps when I switch on. Wouldn't a low battery or some otrher motherboard problem generate an error signal?
My motherboard is: American Megatrends Inc. 062710 07/15/97

Rich84 11:17 16 May 04

I have found out that my motherboard was manufactured by Hsing Tech. Enterprise Co. which now seems to be Pcchips. The model is M810LR but the pcchips site is a nightmare and I can't get a manual from anywhere.
I'm beginning to lose heart. When I switched on this morning having had a good look inside checking connections, I had the same delay (about a minute) before the boot up started only this time it actually began the boot up again from the beginning having got half way through. The plot thickens! Incidentally, when I sad I got no beeps, I excluded a single immediate beep which as far as I recall is normal at turno on.
Any other advice anyone?

VoG II 11:24 16 May 04

Is this it click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…