power supply for PCs in the USA

penno90 18:21 17 Mar 04

i have recently moved to the USA and am thinking of getting my PC shipped out here from england. two people from back home have told me that the power supply will not be compatable and that i will blow up the computer if i try to use it in the states. can anyone help me with this??

if i buy a new power supply in the USA should i then still be able to use the computer?

thanks for your help!!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 18:23 17 Mar 04

Think you can get a tramsformer to up/doen the power,some PSU have a switch on the back to adjust it.

Regards.

Pidder 18:27 17 Mar 04

Think the point is in England the voltage is 230 (about) and in U.S. is, I think, 110 or thereabouts. I would expect your PC not to work on the lower voltage.

goonerbill 18:28 17 Mar 04

heres link to voltages

click here

i believe that if you buy american psu and replace uk psu, everything will run ok as manufactures of pc components dont make different parts for different zones of the world IE: if you buy say a mobo in america it will run your pc ok in the uk.

maybe someone else will shine more light on the subject for you.

Gemma 18:30 17 Mar 04

If the present power supply is marked 110v - 230v 50/60 Hz then it will be OK. If it has a slide switch similarly marked - OK. If it has neither then the only way to go is to buy a US power supply in the USA and change it. It might cost all of 20 dollars which will be cheaper than a suitable 2:1 mains transformer. If you can find a universal (110 - 230, 50/60 Hz) then buy it and bring it home. The voltages inside the PC are a world wide standard.

The power leads (kettle plugs) cost peanuts.

JerryJay 18:40 17 Mar 04

Most decent PSUs (majority of Laptop PSU) have auto-sense function to select voltage. Only way to find out is check out the PSU on you PC yourself.

Also check all of your equipment which use power supply to make sure they will work.

TV will not work because they system NTSC TV signal, but Europe use PAL. Video tape cannot be used in a US video player unless you get a multi- format video player which is difficult to find unless you buy it from far East. Problem with DVD disc unless you get a Multi-Region DVD player which is very very easy to find.

Forum Editor 19:13 17 Mar 04

a voltage switch on the back of the Power Supply Unit, and you can alter it accordingly.

Laptops aren't a problem - mine has been plugged into all kinds of weird supplies all over the world and it has never missed a beat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…