Power Supply For P4 Computer

Sagar-231333 19:29 15 Jul 03

Hi! I am upgrading a three year old computer to a Pentium 4 Machine. I gather from the information people have given me, I need to upgrade my power supply, which is a 300W power supply. the power supply needs to be 450W and above.

I have not bought a power supply before and would like to know, what I should look for when searching for a power supply.

Any help will be greatfully appreciated.

Regards

Sagar Shah

PA28 19:51 15 Jul 03

You need to specify a supply that suitable for a P4 - it has a small additional plug direct to the mainboard which the AMDs don't have. Whereas bigger is better, I run my P4 2.4 with everything fitted on a 350w unit without problems. You shouldn't have any problem sourcing a P4 suitable PSU - expect to pay around £15-£20 or so.

Simps 19:55 15 Jul 03

The information you have been given is partially correct. You will need a new power supply for a p4 machine, as motherboards supporting Pentium 4's have a different connector to the one that your will have. However you will not need one above 300w; you can get 250w p4 approved psu's although I would not recommend them, especially if you wish to install multiple drives be it hdd, cd-rw or dvd etc. I got mine from a company called CPC whose website is click here. You can also order over the phone. Their tel no is 08701 202530.

CODEYE 23:55 15 Jul 03

I had to have my Advent P4 psu replaced (under service agreement) a year ago. The original 300w Fsp group inc. model was replaced with a 300w Atx model. List price according to the service report £89.98. Who is robbing who????

rev.bem 00:42 16 Jul 03

Have a look

click here

billyliv 13:16 16 Jul 03

Hi, You will need to change your motherboard as P4 CPUs need a special cradle for the heatsink. Cheers, Bill

BillEmm 14:57 16 Jul 03

Well, whatever advice you take regarding a new PSU can I offer a piece that comes from long experience: do not buy a cheap model. Anything under 50 GBP can prove problematic and a nice quiet one may set you back a bit more but they are worth it.

I will repeat one of my on-going messages: the PSU is the heart of any PC - if it is not up to the job then the whole machine is useless.

I'm off again!

Bill

rickf 15:54 16 Jul 03

See click here. 550psu for £21. I use one on my P4 and its steady as a rock. It does not however have a switch at the back. You need to switch off at adapter before pulling out the plug. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…