Power Supply, outside case is getting hot?

al1234 07:25 15 Jun 03

Plese help

My Packard Bell case is getting hot on the outside panel near to the power supply. The power supply fan is working, and the processor fan is working, is this normal, I?m running a 1.9 GHz processor, should there be a correct temperature for the case?

goonerbill 09:16 15 Jun 03

dont know about packard bell pc's but i'd be worried. case should be at room temperature( my gaurd on psu just slightly warm ). have you upgraded anything in ya pc lately, ya psu may be under a strain to power ya pc.

maybe someone else may be able to shed more light on ya prob than i can

bobbyc 10:15 15 Jun 03

as goonerbill says unless you are overloading your psu it will get warm but not hot!
is it in a ventalated area ? how long have you had it ? have you added any new hardware ie cd writer / maybe full of dust and needs a blowout

Diemmess 10:36 15 Jun 03

Most fans on a PC will accumulate amazing amounts of talc-fine dust and a dust laden fan will not do its job.

Just blowing at it may not be enough. The stuff cakes - over time........What you do about it depends on your confidence/daring.

A soft watercolour brush can work wonders with a puff or two from your lungs, but first you need to isolate the fan as far as possible, avoiding electrocution or static damage, and also do whatever you can to collect the dislodged dust.

I have a gravity feed anthracite boiler (ancient stuff, and Yes I don't still use an abacus). The boiler suits my needs but started to go out on me in spite of flue cleaning and the rest.

Its fan was loaded with fine ash dust. This was brushed clean and the result was like new, back to long periods of idleness and a brisk burn when the thermostat cut in.

I have recently had the same (Sort) of problem and took drastic action to resolve it.....

The thing is that most if not all manufactured PC's use the cheapest (to them) parts available, this includes Hard Drives, Graphics Cards and of course (and perhaps inparticular) PSU's. The result is lower performance than you could expect from a top make.

You say that "THE power supply fan is working" - the better PSU's have at least two such fans to both draw air in and to exhaust it. Some control this by way of a temp sensor that will speed up the fans as the air gets hotter. It would appear that you PSU is a little under spec.

The second thing is the heat generated by your other hardware - THe motherboard, Graphics (in particular) and even hard drives all produce heat and in this weather the ambient air temp is high so the cooling effect is less of any air that is blown onto the components.

I Have a Lian Li Aliminuim case that cost a fortune about three years ago but is itself acts as a huge heatsing and dissapates heat to the outside. My PSU is a Enermax with variable fan speed controller. However, I have just installed a new Athlon XP3000 and Gigabyte GA7 NNXP mobo, with a total of four hard drives (3x80Gb 1x40) the heat is immense and to put your hand on the top of the case was almost to risk a burn (well, OK not quite but it was very hot).

If I ran all the fans at full pelt (There are two 80mm intake and 1 80mm exhaust on the case not to mention the two on the PSU) I would keep the system cool and avoid the BSD's that I have only recently (Since the upgrade) been getting, but the noise was deafening.

With a heavy heart I have taken a Hole Saw to the case and cut a 120mm hole in the top. fitted this with steel mesh and a Zalman 120mm silent fan. Result? Cool case, no heat and total system stability with no noise.

My Advice before such drastic action would be to replace the PSU with a decent make with at least 2 fans and see what that does - at the very least it would be handy for any major upgrades in the future that require a bigger PSU!

goonerbill 07:04 16 Jun 03

via email

hi i did put a graphics card in a few months ago, before i used to have integrated graphics, do you think that could be the problem?

see if you can find out what the output of ya psu is ie: 250/300/350 watts.

also check that all fans are clean of dust, unplug from mains and take out psu and using a old toothbrush, gently clean any dust away from fans and any other intakes on the psu and then using a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the lose dust.

if psu still hot, you will need to get a more powerful psu (400 watt at least) and everything should be ok then

if ya can post replies on site as then all forum members can see what replies you make and may come up with a solution quicker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…