power supply needed for xp2000+ processors

Daviva 17:10 21 Oct 03

I am considering upgrading my motherboard and processor to xp2000 or 2300. Will a 300 watt power supply be adequate for this. Also is it advisable to have an extra fan fitted to the chassis
Daviva

Many empty cases I see for sale, and labelled athlon ready, contain a 300 watt psu. Personally I would upgrade to 450 watt, possibly with variable fan speeds.Maplin have special offers from time to time. Athlons run hotter than pentiums, so cooling is important.
Suggest you start with upgrading the psu, and monitor the temperature under intensive use.AMD publish guidelines on cpu temperatures, and if you find you are running near the upper limit, then look at additional cooling.Movement of air inside the case is important, which is why round connecting cables are gaining favour.
My own athlon 2200 has 450 watt power supply, a cheap fan on the back (taking up an expansion slot position) and a fan assisted hard drive heat sink.Temperatures under intensive use rarely go above 60 degrees.

R4 19:27 21 Oct 03

300 Watt is OK but if your getting a new one 450/550 Watts would be better as they will run cooler have plenty of spare power.

More important would be adding case fans if you don't have them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…