Power Supply maybe?

Muzz_former_aol_employee 12:43 08 May 07

Hi all

Just built a new pc for a friend of mine as I do all his IT stuff.

Spec:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ CPU
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 Motherboard
Crucial 3gb PC3200 DDR RAM
Seagate 200gb SATA Hard Drive
BFG 8800GTX 760mb PCI-E Graphics Card
Sony DVDROM
Sony DVDRW
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 PCI Sound Card
650watt Coolermaster PSU
Several case fans and cpu fan

After connecting everything in the case and switching on the pc it powered on for a few seconds did the cpu/memory test and cut out. I suspected a graphics card problem so changed the 8800GTX 760mb card for his old 6950GT 256mb card. The pc then powered on fine, we installed Windows and it boots fine and he can do what he wants. However if he plays any games his pc automatically powers off. I suspect either a faulty PSU now or maybe not enough power. However 650watt is quite large isn't it even for the rig he's got?

Kate B 12:54 08 May 07

Those graphics cards are monsters - if you can try it with a more powerful PSU, do: I would have thought 650W is the bare minimum.

Incidentally, where did you get hold of that mobo? I had to replace mine some time back and even a few months ago I had trouble tracking one down.

Muzz_former_aol_employee 12:58 08 May 07

My friend purchased it from click here

I am well aware they have a reputation but we generally have no problems apart from slow delivery.

xania 12:59 08 May 07

I very much doubt that the old graphics card would work fine on the old PC, and not on the new, running presumably the same software. You don't mention the spec of the old PC, but I don't think you would have stepped down your PSU. Games can make quite a demand on graphics - including showing up otherwise unseen weaknesses - and this, along with your earlier problem may indicate the source of the problem. Go back to basics. Why did the new card fail? Was it a problem with the card or a problem with the slot (i.e. the mobo). Can you check the BFG 8800GTX on another PC - if it works, suspect the mobo.

Muzz_former_aol_employee 13:07 08 May 07

I'm going to try the 8800GTX on my pc tonight but I will suggest he tries it in the other PCI-E slot on his motherboard. The old pc was an Athlon XP 3200+ system with a 450watt PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced