Power supply for graphics card-connection

aca 08:11 26 Dec 04

Going to but 9800 pro. My existing psu is 400w so should be sufficient?

What type of power connection plug/cable will I need. From the PSU I can see a seperate connector attached to 1 red and 1 black wire. Connector looks like it will take 4 pins.

This looks like what I would plug in to card but wanted to be sure before I order.

Also are there any manufacturers I should steer clear of when buying card?

Thanks

€dstowe 08:20 26 Dec 04

?? I'm mystified by this. Do you mean that the graphics card you intend buying does not obtain its power from the motherboard?

I may be wrong here but, all the computers I've had, and been involved with, do not need a separate power connection other than that from the multi-connection strip that plugs into the AGP (or PCI) socket on the motherboard.

aca 08:33 26 Dec 04

Yes as cards are getting more powerful they do require additional supply to that supplied by AGP slot off MB

€dstowe 08:34 26 Dec 04

Oh! Thanks for putting me right on that.

I still find it a bit odd though:-)

ICF 08:35 26 Dec 04

€dstowe
Most cutting edge cards get power via the power supply now.

This is a good card click here

ICF 08:38 26 Dec 04

Sorry the above link is wrong try this one click here

€dstowe 09:04 26 Dec 04

I confess I'm not at the "cutting edge" of computer developments - my needs are satisfied by more modest graphics cards.

ICF, I don't see any reference to a separate power requirement in the card that your link directs me to. Please don't go to a lot of trouble over this - I'm happy to accept your statements:-)

Rayuk 10:11 26 Dec 04

I think you will find that you need a molex power connector for the 9800Pro
Mine does,if you javnt got a spare ne on your power supply you can get a splitter cable for it.

Rayuk 10:14 26 Dec 04

I think one of the Nvidia cards now needs 2 molex connectors to supply the power to the card.

Arthur Scrimshaw 11:07 26 Dec 04

You should find the card comes with the cable you need, and with clear instructions how to fit it. Mine (for a 9700 pro) was a split feed to the hard drive and video card. As far as Manufacturers go - all are licenced by ATI so should be ok. Others may advise you differently from their own experiences.

ACOLYTE 11:11 26 Dec 04

Mine was actually on the mobo itself.But my PSU already had the part needed already built in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…