Power supply fan

Simsy 12:59 19 Dec 10

Folks,

I've just finished a new build, using mostly brand new components...

However, one item that isn't brand new is the PSU, which I won in auction on eBay.

This is the model, link provided by the seller;
click here

It's working fine, as far as providing power goes, but the isn't spinning. Now I only just built it yesterday, and had a bit of a booting problem (faulty RAM for return), but I've managed to install Operating System, (Ubuntu 10.10), and just installed a few things... I haven't used it in anger, so it's not been pushed yet.

My question is, simply, do you expect the PSU fan to run all the time, or only when it needs to provide cooling?

Rest of system is;

Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H
core i3 530
1 stick of 2GB RAM (The other is faulty)

So do I need to see if it cuts in when the system is being strained, or should it run all the time, albeit perhaps slowley. It currently isn't spinning at all.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

gengiscant 13:55 19 Dec 10

First off,this is not a decent PSU. You really should try to buy the best PSU you can. That aside this PSU is likely to be faulty, the fan needs to be turning to help dissipate the heat.
If its not turning, you could take it apart and try and renew the fan, or buy another PSU.

robertmonkford 14:12 19 Dec 10

I have to agree with gengiscant, the PSU sounds faulty. I'd advise replacing it with a Coolermaster one, they are fantastic and available from Amazon, Novatech, scan....pretty much any PC supplier - true they are around the £50 mark, but it is a get-what-you-pay for component. Sorry to bring you bad news before xmas :(

Terry Brown 14:20 19 Dec 10

I am not familar with this PSU, however if it does the job, don't worry about it.

I would advise keep a check on the temperatures while running just to be safe.

This link may help you
click here

Terry

Simsy 15:17 19 Dec 10

but this is very much on a tight budget!

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Simsy

GaT7 17:30 19 Dec 10

"My question is, simply, do you expect the PSU fan to run all the time, or only when it needs to
provide cooling?"

It really needs to run all the time without stopping.

AFAIK, only a handful of 'semi-fanless' PSUs have the capability to run the fan only when the PSU has heated up to a certain level. Unfortunately, they aren't made by CIT & usually cost a small fortune (e.g. click here).

So the PSU you purchased has a faulty fan & it probably won't last very long.

If you buy a PSU in the future, get one of the following quality brands: Antec, Be Quiet, Corsair, Enermax, Tagan, OCZ (or PC Power & Cooling), Seasonic, Silverstone, Etasis, Zalman, FSP, Xigmatek, Akasa, Chieftec, BFG, Lian Li - & the 'better' models offered by Coolermaster, Thermaltake & Gigabyte. The ones to avoid are basically most which are not in the above list.

A suitable one to power your system costs about £30 onwards (not £50 as stated) - see click here (link will expire mid-day tomorrow) & click here=[0+TO+49.99]&sort=pricelow&limit=10. I don't know how much you paid for the CIT, but £35 is reasonable isn't it? G

GaT7 17:32 19 Dec 10

Sorry, the correct eBuyer link is click here. G

Simsy 17:40 19 Dec 10

I paid £16 for it.

I've had another look and cleaned up the connector from the fan to the unit... (the whole thing was rather dusty!). I've given it a good cleaning/vacuuming and all now seems well.

I take your points about the price/value/quality on this, (I paid over £50 for the OCZ unit in my own PC), but this really is on a tight budget. If the unit subsequently fails... well we'll deal with that then!

Thanks very much for all the input and advice. It is all much appreciated!

Regards,

Simsy

GaT7 17:48 19 Dec 10

Good to know you managed to get it to work by cleaning it (I don't know how people can sell dirty/dusty PC components! I guess I find it difficult to understand as I'm just the opposite).

I think what most users don't realise is that one can end up paying more for a cheap PSU in the long run. This is because the good quality ones are more energy-efficient & can save the consumer in their electricity bills, not to mention lower risk of packing up & longer warranties. E.g. I think Corsair offer a 5-year warranty with most of their PSUs. G

Simsy 17:50 19 Dec 10

You say, "I don't know how people can sell dirty/dusty PC components! I guess I find it difficult to understand as I'm just the opposite"

I know what you mean!

However, for now, all is well!

Thanks again,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…