Power Supply dead???

shaduf 19:45 04 Jan 07

I took delivery today of a computer power supply ordered yesterday from eBuyer. Before I fitted it I thought it prudent to give it a quick test and plugged it into the mains. Switched on - nothing - dead as a dodo. When I went to put it on one side I found a resistor underneath it which presumably dropped out.
The PSU is sealed so I can’t take a look inside at the PCB. The ¼” legs of the resistor are dead straight and slightly smeared with solder. If it had been one of mine it would have had spidery legs with blobs of solder on it!
The reason for the post – is there any possibility that it needs a load on it to start? Or should plugging it in make it burst into life immediately? I don’t want to begin the Returns procedure, which I understand is protracted, if my testing is at fault.
Thanks in anticipation.

Shaduf

skidzy 19:51 04 Jan 07

The psu is kick started via the mobo,you may have blown it !

If you suspect its dead,Maplins sell a psu tester that is a very handy little piece of kit.click here

Leslie-212488 19:57 04 Jan 07

the power supply will not run if it not connected to the mother board.It needs a signal from the CPU.
There is a test plug you can buy to test the PSU.
You need to plug it into the motherboard.

shaduf 19:53 05 Jan 07

Thanks to you both.
Installed it in the computer and switched on and all was well.
Thanks again.
shaduf

Goolie 19:43 06 Jan 07

This will help for future testing: click here

You can short out pin 14 (Green wire) to any ground pin (Black) to switch on psu without using mainboard.

shaduf 19:52 06 Jan 07

The jobs done and still I'm learning.
Shows what an excellent forum we have.
Thanks again.
shaduf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…