power supply burning smell,renewed but now

frankie 19:45 04 Mar 04

power supply burning smell,renewed but now,on turning on...monitor comes up no cable connected but is connected ok,have reseated graphic card still no joy.....and the cd writer light flashes continuos red and amber...the connections to cd writer are definetly ok red wire to centre as is the ribbon cable.did i get power surge causing burnout of other components or what HELP.... cheers

Forum Editor 19:53 04 Mar 04

has damaged yout motherboard, and the fact that you're experiencing these problems since replacement of the power unit is certainly an indication that something's wrong.

Does the computer appear to start OK? I appreciate the fact that you can't see a display, but you can usually tell by watching the hard drive access light, and listening to the startup activity.

frankie 20:31 04 Mar 04

hi thanks for reply..yes it all seems to kick in ok.but can progress no further due to monitor.will try another monitor and go from there.access light seems to do as expected. cheers..you do a grand job by the way...

woodchip 20:49 04 Mar 04

Remove all Drive Ribbon cables and see if it will boot to Bios

frankie 21:20 04 Mar 04

monitor wont kick in past cable not connected if i Remove all Drive Ribbon cables and see if it will boot to Bios will that make monitor pick it up if so surely monitor would be ok? cant try till sat now but curious?.cheers

frankie 23:00 04 Mar 04

m

gudgulf 23:13 04 Mar 04

Are you using on board or a seperate graphics card? Failure of this component would also cause the symptoms you describe

frankie 12:09 05 Mar 04

seperate graphic card...thats second on my test list after monitor check cheers

frankie 12:44 07 Mar 04

tried further graphic card.still no joy wont kick in...power to motherboard?well the little green light on it is on .so what else could it be,baffled

gudgulf 13:02 07 Mar 04

Only things left are the mobo itself and possibly the cpu--are you getting the bios post beep or any other beeps when you power up?

frankie 09:37 08 Mar 04

yes unit powers up ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…