Power Supply Advice

Ade_1 17:08 01 May 06

Hi, i am looking to replace my PSU. I am looking for around 400W +. However on the 400+ PSU's they seem to have a fan on the top of the unit aswell as on the side, i have a dell dimension 5100 and was wondering what i do about having a fan on top of the PSU. Do i have to cut a hole in my case to allow the air out? or will it be ok, just it doesnt seem as if it should be suffocated if i make sense.
Advice would be greatly appriciated
Thanks in advance
Aidan

DieSse 17:15 01 May 06

Keep looking - my (very nice and quiet) 480 watt supply (Thermaltake Silent Pure Power) has a single large fan on the bottom of the PSU, and is very quiet in operation.

There's plenty of similar ones around - don't skimp on the quality of the PSU, it's false economy.

Ade_1 17:18 01 May 06

Ok, im assuming they are alot more expensive?
Plus where would you suggest looking for them, i am currently looking on Novatech, Ebuyer and will be checking out Savastore. Any others i should check?

DieSse 17:20 01 May 06

Have a look here click here

Ade_1 17:22 01 May 06

ive just found the one you have on Novatech, pretty good price.

DieSse 17:23 01 May 06

*they seem to have a fan on the top of the unit aswell as on the side*

I've just realised - this is probably not on the top, but on the bottom. This fan pushes air into the PSU, the rear one pushes it out.

My other comments about quality still apply tho'.

Ade_1 17:26 01 May 06

Thanks, I think id rather go for either one on the side (going out of pc case) or one facing downwards.
Thanks for the help DieSse

Ade_1 17:27 01 May 06

Would a 460 or 480 be good enough to deal with 2 SATA HDD's and a Graphics card needing 300W?

DieSse 17:28 01 May 06

Mines not the 480w one shown - more like the 460W one further down. One large fan with a blue light (don't ask me why the light tho!).

DieSse 17:30 01 May 06

Either would be fine. The large fan at the bottom blows air into the PSU, and it comes out of the rear grill.

Ade_1 17:31 01 May 06

thats ok then, i thought 460 or 480 would be a big enough wattage for those things but just wanted to check. :), no doubt, knowing me i will start another topic when i have decided on my PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…