Power supply

squidgee 13:32 11 Feb 03

I have a gateway pc tower running windows ME. After a power cut I have no power??? Has any one else been in same position? Has happened b4 but resolved by reset but not this time.

Forum Editor 13:47 11 Feb 03

That can easily fail when the mains supply is restored.

oresome 13:47 11 Feb 03

When the power was restored, there was probably some large 'spikes' created that travelled down the supply cable. At best they may have simply blown a fuse. Try the one in the mains plug first.

catman2000 13:49 11 Feb 03

the fuse on the power supply might have blown. Or could be the plug, not sure, but i know someone who needed to replace their power supply when this happened to them.

Are you surge protected???

squidgee 14:03 11 Feb 03

Thanx Guys

Yes have tried the obvious fuses etc. I know I have power on the pc end of the cable.... It all points towards a new psu but is this the only option????

Forum Editor 14:28 11 Feb 03

have to replace the PSU - better that than the motherboard though. If you are applying power to it, and the fan shows no sign of life then it looks as if that's the problem - assumimg there isn't an anti-surge fuse that you can check/replace.

squidgee 14:35 11 Feb 03

I guess thats ok as power is on the pc end of cable. ok will check anyway and thanx again.

oresome 17:42 11 Feb 03

If you didn't have a surge limiter plug fitted, it'll be worth buying one.
If you do have one fitted, they often come with a guarantee that covers any failure due to circumstances like these.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…