power supply?

delantero 10:47 25 Feb 06

Hi everyone. Running windows xp pro on self build machine with 1 gig ram. Yesterday noticed that my blue neon light (only for decoration)seemed to have died (was suddenly very weak) despite only being a couple of months old. Not sure if that is important or not. Anyway, had my creative zen micro plugged in to the computer when suddenly it shutdown. On rebooting got an error saying that system32\system\config was missing or corrupt. Found a registry repair on the internet but although I could reboot a lot of the programs no longer worked correctly. Decided on a clean install and everything seemed to have gone fine last night. Everything installed no problem though strangely when restarting there was often no beep, just silence. Anyway, this morning when I turned on the computer it keeps restarting, windows will not load. I can't get into safe mode or anything. Could it be the power supply that is causing all these problems? It is a fairly cheap one which is supposedly 450 but I am only using one hard drive, one dvd rewriter and the graphics card is not at all powerful (radeon 9250). Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:01 25 Feb 06

"system32\system\config was missing or corrupt. Found a registry repair on the internet but although I could reboot a lot of the programs no longer worked correctly."

Takes the config file from the XP CD and replaces the corrupt one, unfortnately everything you have installed is nolonge registered. Had this regular on my old PC so started to copy the config file on a regular basis so could rest a little like system restore.

"Anyway, this morning when I turned on the computer it keeps restarting, windows will not load."

Sounds again like a simular problem a corrut system file.
What if any eror message?

Run check disk from recovery consul.

delantero 11:30 25 Feb 06

no error message. Also tried the neon light on my old computer and it works fine so I will try a new power supply and see if that helps. Also noticed a faint smell at the back of the computer which wasn't there before!!!

ulrich 11:59 25 Feb 06

Get a decent quality PSU, Seasonic or Tagan.

delantero 16:45 25 Feb 06

Ok so I have changed the power supply but unfortunately an "old" problem has reappeared.

click here

PC now just starts beeping as soon as I power on as it did when I added new ram a couple of months ago. Nothing on screen. Everything else powers up. According to the mobo manual (gigabyte K8VT800)this is a ram problem which the guy in the shop solved last time (closed til Monday). Have tried taking the battery out, reseating the ram etc but nothing seems to work. Any ideas???

delantero 20:42 26 Feb 06

Have tried ram on another computer and both sticks work fine. Could the motherboard be the problem? Am thinking about getting a new one but is there anything else I should try before I do so. Have tried resetting the cmos, resetting the ram, resetting the graphics card. As I said before, all the fans come on, all the lights too but it just starts beeping as soon as I turn the power on and nothing appears on the screen. I'll be going to the shop tomorrow but I don't want it "repaired" again for this to happen once more in a couple of months. As this is the second time that this problem has come up I think I am leaning towards a mobo problem even though it is only 3 months old. If i do opt for a change can anyone recommend a socket 754 motherboard? Processor is a sempron 3000. Thanks in advance.

delantero 09:14 27 Feb 06

anybody????

rmcqua 09:24 27 Feb 06

Just put one of these in a friend's machine, with Sempron 3000. easy set up and works fine.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant