Power supply

blurdevil 19:00 23 Dec 04

I am using a old power supply... now i hav installed a few new items at my cpu . Such as Casing fans. I connect the power supply to my casing fan and i notice the dvd rom of mine like running low power , my cd-rw dont work normal as they suppose too. Slower than usual. When i remove the fan , everything back to normal.

I was wondering if i increase the voltage of my power supply , will it burn my motherboard or others ? because I asked the shopkeeper and they told me is okie and because sales man they are trying to make the sales , they can just bull*!@:ting around... so i wondering izzit okie ?

If there is a limit to a certain voltage , please tell me ... thankz !

[Quote]I saw behind of my casing and saw the default power supply voltage was 240. Can it be increase to a higher voltage ?[/Quote]

Totally-braindead 19:02 23 Dec 04

No you can't increase the voltage supplied by your power supply you'll have to buy a new one.

VoG II 19:04 23 Dec 04

You need more Watts, not Volts.

You will need to buy a higher wattage power supply.

Do not be tempted to flip the voltage change switch.

blurdevil 19:05 23 Dec 04

hmm , Actually I meant to buy a new 1 ... but is there any limit ? I mean i dun mind da input but i worried da output is too high it burn my motherboard u c ...

so is there any limit of the output so i can get the exact new power supply for it ?

Totally-braindead 19:08 23 Dec 04

Should have said what Vog said, if you do flick the switch it will become a 110v power supply and as soon as you switch it on it will blow up. Look at this click here this will tell you what wattage of power supply you need.

Totally-braindead 19:10 23 Dec 04

You can put any size of power supply you like, a 350 watt up to a 550 watt it makes no difference you will not destroy you motherboard.

blurdevil 19:11 23 Dec 04

thankz a lot totally-braindead and VoG ...

So means i can buy any size of power supply i need , da output is still da same ?

malgall 19:12 23 Dec 04

a power supply is built to a fixed standard
the vollt it supplies to your motherboard stays the same but a higher watts means it can supply that power to more items

check what your present power supply puts out
250 to 300 watts is the most likly
and buy a new one of 400 to 450 watts

blurdevil 19:13 23 Dec 04

Oh...okie thankz ^^

Totally-braindead 19:17 23 Dec 04

If your computer only needs 250 watts to run then thats all it'll use, if you connect it up to a 500 watt power supply it'll still only use 250 watts cos the power supply provides the power the computer asks for, if you get my meaning. The only thing I would pay attention to is what type of supply do you have? Almost all computers now use ATX but if your computers older it may be an AT power supply. Have a look on the case of the actual power supply and see if it tells you.

georgemac 19:46 23 Dec 04

when looking at power supplies don't get fooled by the claimed wattage ratings - some quote peak power when you should be looking at max power ratings

350 watt psu's from antec/levicom/hiper will usually deliver more power than 450/550 watt models from qtec and the likes click here for more info

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…