Grobu 15:11 02 Sep 06

Hi all,

I am going to upgrade my pc with new mb and pcu, may be going for

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Socket 775 DDR2 PCI-E
and
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2 x 1.86Ghz 2Mb Cache 1066 FSB Dual Core Processor

with two
Corsair 1024Mb (2x512mB) 667MHz 240Pin 1GB DDR2 RAM DIMM 1.8V

My present power supply is 230w so I guess I should have a new one as well, but I have no idea of what I need..
thx

woodchip 15:19 02 Sep 06

I got one as a Replacement from PCworld a 550watt two years warranty. Then got a pare from a Computer Fair very heavy so it shouls be good A SWEEX Gold 650Watt click here but it's only a twenty pin ATX socket. So if you need Tenty Four Pin get the one from PCW

woodchip 15:19 02 Sep 06

Spare not pare

JayDay 15:22 02 Sep 06

Use this power supply calculator click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:22 02 Sep 06

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

DieSse 15:41 02 Sep 06

Good source and choice for quality power supplies click here

Don't skimp on the PSU - and don't skimp on the CPU heatsink and fan. The stock heatsinks that come with processors tend to be lower performance and noisier than better quality alternatives. The above link also can be used for the heatsink fan.

Get a top heatsink, and you can use a slower, quieter fan. From personal experience I always recomment Thermalright heatsinks - I have one and fitted a 92mm slow, quiet fan - It's virtually silent.

Totally-braindead 15:50 02 Sep 06

Get at least a 450 watt one, a bigger one if you can. Get a good make such as Tagan, Antec, Hiper etc. And also try to get a modular one.

The modular supplies have cables that you can disconnect if you're not using them, therefore its easier to fit as you don't have tons of cables in the way. Kicking myself that I didn't buy a modular one earlier this year as my new power supply has so many cables it was a bit of a plaster to connect it up.

Grobu 16:02 02 Sep 06

Thx 4 help, got a further question
if I want to use my pc abroad, can the power supply 'adapt' to another voltage, just by changing the connector ? or will I need to use an adaptor ?

ulrich 17:25 02 Sep 06

Some PSUs have a switch to change the voltage. Where do you plan on going as most if not all European countries use the same power but the plugs are different.

Totally-braindead 18:37 02 Sep 06

If you see a PSU you like, check the manufacturers website to see if the voltage can be altered. Mine a Tagan one has a switch as ulrich mentioned to switch it between 240 and 120 volts.
I've never seen anyone wanting to drag a desktop abroad with them before. If you want a PC for use abroad would you not be better off with a cheapish laptop as they are all dual voltage now(as far as I know). Of course they are no use for gaming but will do everything else. Unless of course you are considering a permanent move.

Grobu 19:33 02 Sep 06

allright great help
I guess I need a modular PSU,around 480w, standard ATX size.. I will go for the one with lower noize.
indeed every model I saw are in the appropriate input voltage. btw, yes definitive move and yes need gaming :)
if u r aware of any particular model, would save time
thx again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…