Power stays on after XP shutdown

Simsy 08:57 26 Sep 06

Folks,

I spent most of yesterday getting my sons PC set up with an upgrade from 98 to XP. It wasn't without problems getting started, but I seem to have pretty much everything done now, including updating/renewing drivers, etc...

However, I discovered last night that when you shut down, Windows DOES appear to SHUTdown OK, but the machine DOESN'T POWER down... the case button has to be held in for a few seconds to completely turn off.

(Turning on again doesn't produce the "scan check" gubbins, which does suggest that windows is closing cleanly)

Unfortunately, as I was restarting after each installation, (i.e. not turming off), I can't identify which software installation may have triggered this problem.

Can anyone advise?

In case it's relevant, mobo is a Soltek 75-DRV4 with a Via chip and an athlon 1.3Gig.

(I wont be able to check in on this until much later tonight, or possibly not until tomorrow morning. Very busy day today!)

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Simsy

Newuser4165 09:28 26 Sep 06

You need to look in the Bios for a setting referring to "Soft Off" which need s to be turned off.
I think you'll find it in the Power section of the bios.

Simsy 17:08 26 Sep 06

I don't think I've changed anything in the BIOS... certainly I haven't deliberately... but I'll have a look.

Any other observations are welcommed!

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 17:29 26 Sep 06

Everything looked OK in the BIOS...

but I found the following page;

click here

and the second paragraph under the heading "Powerdown Issues", (which is about 3/5 of the way down the page), seems to have cured it.

Thanks for taking an interest Newuser4165.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009