Power Problem on new build DIY PC ?

Giggle n' Bits 11:41 29 Apr 04

Built a new pc using a AMD Duron 1.6GHz 266FSB, Asus A7V8X-MX SE Via DDR M/board using the onboard VGA, WinXP home, 256MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz, 350Watt Psu, 40GB HDD, Floppy and CDROM.

Problem that I thought I fixed with a BIOS update is still here. When I go to power on the pc it will switch on for 2 seconds then power of and back on again very quick then boot into XP desktop.

Does anyone think this could be a PSU or a M/board fault please ?.

Gongoozler 11:47 29 Apr 04

Are you sure it is really powering off then on, or is it only blanking the monitor. If it's really powering off you will get a second POST beep.

OPEN18 12:01 29 Apr 04

You can often change the boot up settings in the Bios settings of the PC. This will determine what happens when you press the power on/off button

Timmy!! 12:35 29 Apr 04

It sounds like the monitor is blanking between the bootup sequence (black and white/windows splash screen with scrolling bar) and entering windows (colour desktop) for a couple of seconds.

This is quite normal and occours when the graphics card changes its output resolution between the two sequences.

Giggle n' Bits 13:59 29 Apr 04

button the computer powers (2seconds) then powers of total and back on the screen doesn't get a chance to display nothing as its all that quick.

Changed the PSU still same problem.

Erh Is it anything to do with S1 or S3 ?

Gongoozler 09:36 02 May 04

Hi Yettie, I saw your other posting, so I did a quick Google search. I think this is probably something to do with the "Power Loss Restart" feature of this board.

Gongoozler 09:43 02 May 04

--- and this forum click here suggests that it is a common problem, but can be overcome by downgrading the BIOS to version 1005.

Jakey boy 09:45 02 May 04

Yettie. I have the same board in my first build, and it does exactly the same. It's never worried me, as I think it's just part of the natural boot-up of the MB.

Jakey boy 09:53 02 May 04

If you read further down Gongoozler's link. You will see aposting that explains a little further, tho I don't quite get the "dead battery" bit.

Gongoozler 10:15 02 May 04

I see from the ASUS website that BIOS version 1006 is to "Fix system hanging caused by unstable voltage given from certain power supplys" (sic). I think that perhaps this switch-on feature could be a side effect of this fix

Giggle n' Bits 12:50 02 May 04

this board the A7V8X-MX & MX SE models are like this and Asus say it is normal so I have to accept this.

But when looking all last week on Asus site the answer to this was not to be found.

The Bios update of 1006 does not fix, I tried it on board 1 before I returned it now on board 2.

The system is not hanging, it is some sort of a power pre-charge, bit like when you plug a power lead but not on to the PSU and you get a quick spin of the fans.

But thanks all for the calls.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…