Power up problem - Faulty CPU or M/Bd?

Pillo 11:24 03 Aug 06

I have a power up problem with a Pentium 4 system. When everything is plugged up correctly the machine is dead on power up. By process of elimination I have narrowed it down to the 4-way power lead for the CPU. Leave it out and I get power.

I have removed the CPU with the same result. Is it fair to assume the M/Bd is faulty or would the machine not power up anyway with the CPU removed.

Anyone help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:53 03 Aug 06

sounds like something on the board pulling down the power from the PSU

However It could be a PSU fault I would be very tempted to try another PSU before changing the motherboard.

Pillo 11:56 03 Aug 06

Sorry, should have said, I've already done that.

Diemmess 12:32 03 Aug 06

Its not impossible that the CPU has blown. Either way you have a problem deciding which, CPU, mobo or both!
At this stage it is time to visit your nearest service shop assuming you are lucky with a conscientious one nearby.

Pillo 12:40 03 Aug 06

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. Oh, well, decision time I suppose. I'll have to think about this one.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…