Power Option Problems

rawprawn 16:46 02 May 06

I am trying to be "Greener" and have set my Power Options to Turn off as follows.
Monitor 10 Minutes
HD 30 Minutes
Standby 30 Minutes
Hibernate 1 Hour
(Enable Hibernation is ticked)
Nothing happens at all, I did a search in the forum and it seems others have the same problem, but no solution click here
I am on XP Pro SP2 all up to date.
Any further ideas please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 02 May 06

Check BIOS settings - set BIOS to let op system handle power options

rawprawn 17:00 02 May 06

Thanks I will check that now.

rawprawn 17:14 02 May 06

I couldn't find anything like "let op system handle power options" but I have changrd 2 settings which I thought may be similar. "Remote Wakeup" was OFF, now turned ON. "AC Power Recovery" was OFF, now is On. I do not really understand either setting so if you have further advice I am ready to listen. I will leave the computer alone now and see if it has made a difference.

rawprawn 17:40 02 May 06

No Change, so I will reset my BIOS to where they were.(Not wanting to cause any further problems)

ade.h 18:20 02 May 06

You should keep settings like Remote wake-up off. There are two kinds - one that wakes the PC from a signal through the Ethernet LAN port and one that wakes it from a dial-up modem. If you have either of these in use, it's best to keep that feature disabled. It sometimes results in your PC waking up when you didn't ask it to.

ade.h 18:22 02 May 06

Forgot to add that you may want to check for motherboard driver updates. Although, if my memory's right, you haven't had this PC for very many months? So the drivers are probably not at fault unless you have what was at the time a new motherboard model.

rawprawn 18:37 02 May 06

Thanks for that, I have put all the settings back to how they were (ie OFF) I will check the motherboard drivers as the computer is over 4 years old and those drivers have never been updated.I am going out this evening so it will be tomorrow before I can check, I will report back.

ade.h 18:42 02 May 06

4 years old? Definitely in need of an update then. It might be wise to flash the BIOS as well, given its age, as that might be why the ACPI is not working as it should.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:43 02 May 06

My AmiBios has a section Power Management setup
and in that Power management enabled

look for somethng simular if not enaabled then windows cannot affect the power management options on the board.

rawprawn 21:01 02 May 06

I can't find anything in BIOS that would seem to be related regarding power I only have
Auto Power On/ Disabled
Remote Wake Up Off
AC Power Recovery Off
Fast Boot On
Suspend Mode says S3 the only alternative is S1 and I have no idea what either of these mean.
I have been unable to find driver updates. My machine is a Dell Dimension 4300 there is no other name other than Dell regarding the MB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…