Power Management in 98SE

Diemmess 12:17 03 Sep 04

Am running a heavyweight list of apps and broadband. 512RAM

Leaving the "box" unattended will see the monitor shut off in time, and presumbably the system standby and HDs as well.

Very recently, if left much longer, the whole shooting match goes into a coma. No amount of coaxing or brute force will revive it without a reboot and the scolding that goes with it.

There is a USB (ext.) HD sometimes on, but nothing has changed recently. The present power setup is Standby,Monitor, and HDs off, all after 20 minutes.

What changes should I make? Keep HDs running for much longer?

pj123 13:17 03 Sep 04

What settings do you have in Start, Settings, Control Panel, Power Management? Mine are all set to "Never". But you can set them to whatever time you like.

Diemmess 13:31 03 Sep 04

You obviously have commonsense............Its a bit like screensavers I suppose; time was when they were flavour of the month, but I have shunned them for years, kidding myself that I am running a lean mean machine.

After all, I can always switch the monitor off to give the impression "I won't be back for a while."

When the apps are small and there are no perpherals, (USB in particular) then 98SE can cope, but I admit I'm pushing it, so I had better follow your advice and accept personal responsibility for a manual approach!

Any other ideas out there?

pj123 14:01 03 Sep 04

I don't like screensavers either. They just take up memory. They were OK when we all had mono monitors because of the "burn" effect. That doesn't happen with colour monitors so there is no need to have a screensaver running.

Diemmess 14:56 03 Sep 04

Not yet solved!

Leaving it in Desktop - The whole bang-shoot is likely to freeze if left for "a while" without my fingers blundering over the keys!

pj123 15:13 03 Sep 04

How long is "a while"? I find that if I leave my PC on Desktop for a couple of hours, say. When I come to "shut down" it doesn't and I have to hold the power button down for about five seconds to shut it down. But if I decide to use an application eg. word, excel, or paint shop pro etc. then it takes about 63 seconds before the programme opens but at least it works.

Diemmess 15:23 03 Sep 04

When I'm in a hurry a few seconds seem a long time.......When I'm away doing something else time shoots by. There's philosophy for you!

Diemmess 15:21 04 Sep 04

The freezing thing persisted, and during a post which never succeeded, Internet access failed.

After all sorts of suspicions and a wrecked OS (Recovered through HyperOs) I reinstalled the modem drivers.

This seemed to cure a lot of things except when recording a long track from eMule. - Another reset.

I think it was all too much for Windows 98SE where memory is not that well handled.

I have transferred this process to Win 2000K. So far no trouble. Will close this thread leaving only strong guesses at what caused all the recent bother. Over zealous power mis-management by me, and possibly a memory allocation flaw in the system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…