power lead plug keeps fusing

kimjhon 23:43 11 Jun 06

The 13 amp fuse in the plug of my PC power lead has fused about 6 times. It occurs during a variety of uses - the last during defragging. And the time between fusings is getting shorter.

I have changed the lead and also used a different wall socket.

Google no help. Any ideas, please?

?. 23:44 11 Jun 06

Check that all the power cable sinside the computer are not loose.

Josho™ 23:44 11 Jun 06

Looks like you have a faulty PSU. Maybe it's not powerful enough?

kimjhon 00:00 12 Jun 06

Thanks ?. Will do. I should just press things home after grounding myself. Yes?

Josho™ Had pc for a year now. But psu may have developed a fault?

Is this fusing a pretty common thing?

SANTOS7 00:05 12 Jun 06

has known to be related to CPU overheating, (could be weather related) have to say 13amp is a tad big as well 5amp would be safer when problem is fixed

?. 00:10 12 Jun 06

Take out the power leads, then reinsert them, grounding yourself is a good idea.

Worth a try.

If not then could well be a faulty PSU

kimjhon 00:13 12 Jun 06

Thanks SANTOS7. Started before hot weather. But it has been dusty around here. Maybe i should check the fans.

SANTOS7 00:17 12 Jun 06

know somebody had same prob, new leads, new PSU, diferent sockets still same. tried numerous things came up with overheating CPU (dust/dirt) cleaned all fans, "badabong badabing" no more fused-fuses...

SANTOS7 00:18 12 Jun 06

PS

hope your problem is that simple,good luck..

UncleP 12:50 12 Jun 06

Blowing a 13A fuse is generally an indication of a short circuit on the mains input side of the computer. A 500W PSU requires only 2A (AC mains current) in normal operation, although it may use more while starting up - but you indicate that the fault occurs while you are using the machine. It is unlikely that this sort of current would be required by any of the electronic components, which run off the dc supplied by the PSU.

I would recommend that you concentrate on finding the fault fairly quickly. The fuse is protecting the innards of the computer at the moment, but may not continue to do so indefinitely. As Santos7 noted, a 5A fuse is usually adequate (anti-surge if the start-up current is high), but in the present circumstances it will simply blow more quickly and more often than a 13A.

Although there aren't many components carrying mains voltages in a computer (mains cable, input socket, on/off switch, PSU and the wiring in between these) finding intermittent faults is never easy. It sounds as if you have a leakage path between the live wire and neutral or earth which breaks down as it warms up. An insulation resistance check with an AVO might locate it (with everything off, of course).

But mains voltages are dangerous. Earthing youself when making adjustments to a computer is intended to prevent static from your body or clothing from damaging the solid-state components - not to protect you! Unless you are an experienced electrical engineer, you should not touch the insides of a computer while the mains supply is on, or even connected to the wall socket. I would strongly recommend that, if this is not the case, that you take it along to your local computer repair shop and get them to check it out. They should be able to do it on the spot, and shouldn't charge more than about £10 - check this first (and whether you want them to do the repair), to avoid misunderstandings.

My guess is that it is the input transformer winding in the PSU, but I'm not putting money on it!

spuds 13:22 12 Jun 06

"They should be able to do it on the spot, and shouldn't charge more than about £10". Wish I lived around your location UncleP.Around my area, its between £30/£60 with at least a 48 hour wait. But advice comes 'free'?. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…