Power and immediate boot up problem with xp

Giggle n' Bits 00:05 12 Jul 06

this is a strange one, the computer is powered off and off at mains. Ok, then come to it and switch on the main power at wall socket and the computer will power on and boot straight away.

I suspect Power supply or fault with motherboard, I also have heard a floppy of a modem can do this. But to narrow down the time involved in borrowing bit of my newer xp machine would be nice.

its a Epox EP-4SGM8I motherboard, running a Nvidia GF 6200 AGP, x1 HDD, a combi DVD/CDWtr, FDD, and PSU is Enlight 300Watt,and a PCI modem which is not online on this machine.

Oh, & memory is Kingston PC3200 DDR. There was a Double Sided and a single sided dimm fitted untill I found the Double sided 512MB dimm to be fautly and also relised I matched it wrong. That was stopping me from playing E & A Games then a few months back and never got round to upgrading the memory again.

Forgot to mention the Intel Celeron 2.53GHz. Think this in BIOS is set to 133x9.5 ?

Memery test is fine, HDD is fine, and drives work ok. Clean install of XP again.

These are the power things that show on boot at bottom of screen

Vcc 3.3v = 3.28v
Vcore 1.29v
Vcc 5v = 5.24
Vagp = 1.48v
Vbat = 3.32v
12v = 11.90v
5vSB = 497v

In BIOS it says CPU is a 1.86GHz like this 133MHz/1.86GHz then the strange thing is on boot up where it checks memory and drives loading the CPU is a Intel Celeron 2.53 GHz

Is there something set wrong in bios for the CPU I wonder.

Does anyone understand the electrical settings and any ideas on my instant power boot problem.

is my my VoG or Stuartli around maybe as I plea !

sean-278262 00:35 12 Jul 06

in the bios usually tells you how to get here on boot, change the setting for "boot on return power". Some bios's will start the computer when the power is restored, it is useful if the computer is to act like a server. Usually in the power settings the option you need. It may also be named different but most should say what the setting does.

ArrGee 00:38 12 Jul 06

Errm, getting late for an old codger like me, so my solution is going to be a wee bit blunt. There should be a switch on the back of your PC set to 1. If that is the case, each time you turn on the PC from mains, the PC itself will kick off. This is what tends to happen if you switch on from the wall rather than using the 'on' button on the PC itself.

Better to use 'Start - Turn Off Computer' when shutting down. and leave the mains to on. On start-up, use the computer's own 'on' button.

Giggle n' Bits 01:17 12 Jul 06

Thanks, will try the BIOS option but I am sure its set to power off and not last state or Always on.

Flicking the swich on the rear of the PSU is not a fix, its a precaution to stop a surge from the mains only.

has anyone seen anything strange relating to my CPU reading or voltages are they spot on ?

sean-278262 01:28 12 Jul 06

It could be a standard setting and a sign the battery in the mobo needs replacing as it is failing to keep the settings. Only throwing out ideas here but it does seem an odd thing if your sure you set it to stay off. Hmmm.

Giggle n' Bits 09:25 12 Jul 06

It was the PCI ESS Chip Modem, removed it and the problem has gone away.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…