power failure

tony-guitar 18:02 01 Apr 06

HI Guys, I have a 'power surge' board that everything plugs into, but i've just encountered a power failure. It was very brief but enough to cause my pc to re-boot itself. I know there's a system that will keep the power running during these situations, but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where i can get it and roughly how much they are? Thanks for any help.

PC Bilbo 18:13 01 Apr 06

You need a UPS (uninterruptable power supply). These kick in when your mains supply fails and will supply
enough power for you to save all your work and shut down safely until mains power is restored.

Cost is from under £100 to £000's depending on how many computers you want to support and for how long.
Try Maplins, Dabs, Misco et al or just Google UPS

Forum Editor 18:14 01 Apr 06

Here's where you can read all about them

click here

and here's one place where you can buy them. Just type UPS into the site search box.

click here

ade.h 18:24 01 Apr 06

You mean to say that you didn't have a UPS??!!

Tut-tut...

Seriously, though; £100 well spent, many times over. These things have saved my bacon, not to mention £££s worth of hard-disks, because of what a power cut can do to the boot mechanism. I had to buy one for my father last year when a brief outage caused hardware boot failures on both his hard-disks (in RAID 1). Luckily, they still functioned as slaves, so the data was retrievable with a bit of work.

ade.h 18:27 01 Apr 06

click here Any of these three are great, though I use the 1200 models. Seriously good bit of kit (the FE has also recommended Belkin) and has a lifetime warranty. Phone cable passthrough for your ADSL line as well, which is very important to protect from surges.

VoG II 18:34 01 Apr 06

Bookmarked - just had exactly the same thing happen :o(

Stuartli 18:35 01 Apr 06

Also:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017