Power Failure

Poloman69 23:17 21 Apr 04

What could the possible reasons for no power on a PC. Is it a simple this such as the need for a new PSU, or could anything else (excluding fuse in plug) that could prevent a PC starting up and no lights working.

I know that this might be an obvious thing, but i wanted to check ALL possibilities

Diodorus Siculus 07:49 22 Apr 04

Be sure that the switch on the PSU is not turned off accidentally - it has been known.

If there are no lights / fans etc operating on the mobo then it is likely the PSU which is in trouble.

Poloman69 14:40 22 Apr 04

The fan's blades seem to have been worn and i am worried that my partners processor could have been damaged - is there any way to check that the processor is ok?

I think it is most likely that the PSU is damaged as there was a distinct smell of heated dust coming out the back. We cleaned the fan and the PSU but no lights working.

I have an old PSU from my old PC - is it ok to use this one to check to see if it is the PSU that is not working. They have the same 300W output - so is it ok and safe to use?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…