Power DVD won't play.

loaders 19:13 08 Mar 06

Somehow I have managed to mess up my Power dvd which came already installed with my windows ME.It has worked fine up until a few weeks ago but now when I insert a dvd it loads ok but I either get the message"POWER DVD has caused an error in PWRDVDDX.DLL" or "POWER DVD has caused an error in(unknown)" Power dvd will now close-if you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer.
Which when I do makes no difference,
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

skidzy 19:23 08 Mar 06

Something for you to try.Not sure if it will work in this case,but worth a go.

Start > My Computer > Right Click the dvd drive > Select Properties > Autoplay > You should have a box displaying Music Files....Scroll through and select dvd Movie.

Post back if it works,i recently had a problem with my power dvd and this cured it.Dont know why.....but it did

Reference:

click here

User-312386 20:01 08 Mar 06

Uninstall and re-install powerdvd

gourmand 21:26 08 Mar 06

I think windows me has "system restore" why not try and restore back to a time when it was working if you dont have the disc? Worth a try!

loaders 11:56 09 Mar 06

Skidzy.
Thanks for the suggestion but the properties on ME does'nt show the detail you described on both the My computer/dvd drive and the My computer/control panel/system/dvd drive.

loaders 12:00 09 Mar 06

gourmand.
Have already tried a system restore but it made no difference,a bit loathe to go back too far as everything else is working fine.

loaders 12:02 09 Mar 06

madboy33.
Power dvd came preinstalled and I do not have an installation disc,thanks for the suggestion.

skidzy 16:54 09 Mar 06

Sorry Loaders i didnt read properly that you are on ME
Not to sure if this codec pack will work on your system,maybe give it a go.
click here

loaders 19:29 09 Mar 06

skidzy.Thanks for the prompt reply,had a look at the site you suggested,not sure what a codecs are ,it looks as though it is a software package that will play dvd's am i right or is it something else.I do not have a problem playing dvd's etc as I have Real player and windows Media player and they work ok.The reason I queried the Powerdvd problem was that it used to be the autoplay for any dvd's and then started to have the error message that I described.

skidzy 19:36 09 Mar 06

If like me,a while ago i uninstalled Nero and being naive was not taken much notice of the prompts i got from uninstalling Nero...i carried on regardless and found out at a later date i had removed some codecs.
My point being if you have lost any codecs it might possibly be pointing to your problem.Im no expert,but i repaired my system.These guys on here may point you in a better direction than i could.
I do believe using the codec pack will enhance you system and not do any damage.

terryf 22:23 09 Mar 06

Try google 'what are codecs', this may help you to understand what they are, Downloading them on to your system will not harm and may help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5