Power cut 'kills' router?

Jackcoms 20:01 11 Nov 06

Just had a phone call from my daughter in her student flat.

They had a power cut last night and, since then, have had no internet access.

There are 6 students in the flat, each with a PC/laptop, which are connected to a common modem via a wireless router.

Is it possible that, as a result of the power cut, the router now needs to be reconfigured?

Please bear with me because I've personally never used a router in my life!

cream. 20:43 11 Nov 06

Are all the lights working on the front of the router?

Jackcoms 20:46 11 Nov 06

Sorry, can't supply any further details.

Daughter is now unavailable as she's doing whatever students do on a Saturday evening!

cream. 20:52 11 Nov 06

Well one thing is for sure. The router will not need to be reconfigured. Having a power cut would be the same as switching it off.

woodchip 20:55 11 Nov 06

Personally I don't think a Power cut would kill the router. It may have corrupted the settings but doubt it. Tell the all to turn there computers off the switch the modem router off for five minutes restart Router then switch one computer on at a time for it to be detected, They should not be switched on all at once

hzhzhzhz 21:11 11 Nov 06

My electric went off last week.I had to reset the router password and all was well. The power has been off quite a few times over the last couple of years but it was the first time that it afffected the router.

Jackcoms 21:29 11 Nov 06

OK. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I'll ring daughter tomorrow to pass them on.

john-232317 21:41 11 Nov 06

The power goes off in Spain as many times as the bars change owners, all I do is switch the router back on and away it goes.

Giggle n' Bits 22:12 11 Nov 06

I started a post a few months ago relating to Surge Protectors. its possible that Reset of router maybe all is needed but if its powerless then its a gonner.

Different brands of router behave differently depends on the strength of them, the amount of voltage down.

Jackcoms 13:47 13 Nov 06

Well, daughter and her flatmates chose to ignore the advice of this Forum as passed on by me - "in case we screw things up even more". ;-((

Instead they have elicited the help of a fellow student, who is studying IT, and was the chap who originally installed the router/modem for them.

It seems that, as daughters get older, they sometimes choose to ignore the advice of their old and ancient fathers and prefer to turn to chaps of their own age. Ho, hum.

Ticked as resolved, although not by PCA in this instance!

Thanks for your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017