Power Cut during PC Shut Down - PC won't boot now

peterjelliott 07:49 15 May 08

As I switched off my PC (running XP Pro)yesterday, prior to completion of the shut down sequence, we experienced a power failure.

On subsequent attempts to boot up, the PC gets so far and then just hangs. I have attempted to boot into safe mode but after filling the screen with a load of text, again the PC hangs (I believe a second or two before the login screen normally appears).

I have the original XP Pro disc and have tried booting from this into the repair screen but I'm met by a command prompt and I don't know what to do from there.

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks

Peter

Technotiger 08:14 15 May 08
  dan. 08:24 15 May 08

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and then press enter.

See if it brings up system restore for you.

peterjelliott 08:30 15 May 08

Thanks for your help guys - it's sounding like this is a bit too advanced for little me, so I think I'll be needing to get some expert help in!

Kind regards

Peter

tiscalitrev 09:05 15 May 08

Hi Pete
Exactly the same thing happened to me some time back, except it was self inflicted, I switched the computer off at the wall socket whilst it was shutting down!
I was running W98 at the time, and it appeared to hang but in reality it was working very very slowly. What had happened was at the time of switchoff the hard drive was working hard and was damaged at that point.
I managed to get to a point (don't know how) where I could run Scandisk, this took ages, more than 12 hours I think. This found the damaged segments and moved what info it could onto another part of the hard drive.
This cured the problem but of course from then on I had parts of the hard drive showing as damaged.

Sapins 09:07 15 May 08

A couple of points Peter, you will get *expert* advice on this forum and, stable door!, if you invest in an Uninterrupted Power Supply, UPS, you will have time to shut down the computer even if the power cut occurs after you have started the shutdown sequence, a USP will also automatically complete the shut down even if you are away from the computer.

peterjelliott 09:19 15 May 08

Thanks again folks. No offence intended - I have received the expert advice through the forum but I do not have the knowldege or expertise to use it - especially with respect to recovery console command prompts etc.

As it's beyond me, I will therefore have to get in some expert help to sort the problem.

Apparently, it sounds like a file was probably corrupted during the shut down sequence and there is some sort of windows repair disc that can be run to effectively repair any damaged files.......

I take your point regarding a UPS - may be a sound investment for the future! At least I do have back-ups of my files!

Kind regards

Peter

Sapins 16:59 15 May 08

I see what you mean now, hope you get it sorted,

Regards,

Sapins

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:13 15 May 08

I have the original XP Pro disc and have tried booting from this into the repair screen but I'm met by a command prompt and I don't know what to do from there.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

peterjelliott 06:40 17 May 08

Thanks Fruit Bat - thought I had it sorted. Ran through all of the above and everything seemed to be going fine,all the files were deleted and repaired..............until the final reboot after repair when the PC just hung at what appears to be exactly the same point; just before the login screen should appear - ARGH!
I'm wondering if a SP2 file may be corrupt rather than one from the original XP Pro disk as this wouldn't be repaired by the above, I assume?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:46 17 May 08

PC just hung at what appears to be exactly the same point; just before the login screen should appear - ARGH!

How long did you wait for? it will always take awhile at this point after a repair then be ok at the next boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…