Power cable

K@$H 18:29 01 Feb 05

If a graphics card need a power cable is it hard to set up- how do you do it? Also, is it normally suppliied or do you get your own- how much would it cost?

thanks

Danoh 18:34 01 Feb 05

Internal PC cards such as those specifically to drive graphics, are mounted directly onto the motherboard and gets its power from there.

I presume you mean a mains power cable? If so, that will need to be stepped down to provide the voltage and current that a graphics card requires.

Perhaps other forum members knows of instances where graphics cards needs a separate power feed/cable, as I don't.

LastChip 18:39 01 Feb 05

If the card is a "retail box" it will normally include any required cables, which often connect directly to your computers power supply 12v connectors.

They are "sized" so you can't go far wrong.

The latest generation of graphics cards are so powerful, they need their own power supply, rather than just a feed from the motherboard slot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 01 Feb 05

If the card requires extra power there will be a "molex" d shaped socket on the board, takes the same plugs (from the PSU as the HDD and CD drives.

If not supplied with the card "splitters are cheap and easily obtainable from any computer shop.

Totally-braindead 20:42 01 Feb 05

As above they usually come with a splitter if you don't have a spare power connector. Apart from that they're the same to set up as any other card. The only thing to watch is does your power supply have enough power left to supply one more device.

K@$H 23:56 01 Feb 05

thanks for the advice guys but how do I know if my power supply has enough power left to supply one more device?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…