power also known as psu

scasn4 11:05 17 Feb 09

hi,
this is a very serious question as im worried..
im running
a p4 HT enabled 3.2ghz 800 fbs
4gb sdram2 800 fbs
2x dvd rewriters
120gb hard drive 7200rpm
radeon x800 pro (overclocked) total is 1150mhz
windows xp home
plus 2 system fans
plus the 1 built into graphics card
plus cpu fan
total of 4 fans
and the really funny thing is im running it off a 250watt psu
surely this is not safe????
the temprature is fine it reads 45-47oc on psu
processor runs full wack at 65oc
system temp does not go over 31oc
what advice can you give me from your experiances
i might just buy a new psu but if its ok i wont lol.

Diodorus Siculus 11:22 17 Feb 09

If it's a good quality PSU (and I'm pretty sure it has to be) it will be ok - just about on the borders of what is acceptable. 250W was the norm at the time P4 processors came out.

Why wont it work 11:39 17 Feb 09

As taken from the ATI website:

System Requirements:
Radeon™ X800 XL, Radeon™ X800 PRO, Radeon™ X800 XT and Radeon™ X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION require a connection to your PC's internal power supply for operation. Consult your system builder or OEM to ensure your system has an adequate power supply. Otherwise, ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed

So it is possible that you are stretching it a little. However, if the PSU is from a good quality brand and you are not noticing any problems with the computer then it is probably okay. It's up to you though really, a more powerful psu won't do the pc any harm.

kjrider 11:41 17 Feb 09

I would be a bit wary, as its not just the P4, but all the other bits as well. Some PSU when they fail do fail safe. Others can be nasty and end up frying your motherboard.

If you can get hold of one of those plug in 13 amp units that tells you how much power you are using, it would be useful to see waht the reading is.

KJR

scasn4 11:51 17 Feb 09

well in the bios it says that the computer will just cut off and not turn on again i can change this but that would be stupid i think lol.

WHY WONT IT WORK
i did what you done and checked the website thats why im a bit worried lol
i guess it could be fine as long as i dont go filling up any of the 8 usb ports lol and adding anything else

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…