Power Adapter very HOT!!!

aqua52 17:06 09 Oct 08

Hi all
My laptop Fujitsu Amilo Pro Power Adaptor 'thing' which go into the side is very hot after 1 hour being on
I can hear the fan working - should I buy a new one or what???
Sorry if this is extra dumb!

tullie 17:08 09 Oct 08

Power adapters can get very warm,what fan are you talking about?

aqua52 17:13 09 Oct 08

I can hear a noise which come and go so I thought it was a fan - is this a extra extra dumb!!

tullie 17:16 09 Oct 08

There maybe someone else with the same laptop and adaptor that can advise.The noise you hear maybe the fan in the laptop,which starts up when required.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 09 Oct 08

The adaptor can get very hot especially when running the machine and charging the battery.

Its is normal for the fan to start and stop depending on how you are using the laptop open alot f programs or play games and the fan will be running.

You may also hear the hard drive running as data is being read or written to it.

laurie53 20:11 09 Oct 08

My fan is sometimes very noisy, and my adapter is sometimes too hot to hold (like me 50 years ago!).

Make sure your air vents are kept clear; As long as your computer doesn't start freezing or crashing, which I understand is one of the early symptoms of overheating (tho' I'm open to correction) you should be OK.

peter99co 21:27 09 Oct 08

It is possible to buy a laptop cooling pad which you stand your machine on.

aqua52 23:20 09 Oct 08

Thanks so much!!
I will stop worrying about the power adapter -like laurie53 - I know JUST what he thinks!!

sillyfox 07:10 19 Oct 09

Suggest u to buy a new one
click here

wee eddie 14:01 19 Oct 09

As everyone has said:

All Power Adaptors get warm, sometimes even 'hot' to touch, but should never get 'too hot' to touch.

Most Power Adaptors hum/buzz, but that should be quite quiet, almost inaudible.

If it is too hot to touch and the 'Hum' has become has become as loud as a bee. Then there is something very wrong with it.

It's always a good idea not to have power adaptors sitting on an, easily, combustible material. e.g. not on the carpet or tucked, out of sight, in a corner somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now