potentially unwanted programs

0000jb0000 21:55 26 Jul 04

More questions for you. Am running Windows 98SE and have McAfee virus scan. Each time I 'scan for viruses' I get the same things coming up.
C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ossproxy.exe (this is on once)
C:\\Programfiles\CommonFiles\GMT\E (on 3 times)
C:\\ProgramFiles\Commonfiles\CMEll (on 5 times)
The first says 'Program name' Proxy-oss
And the rest are Adware-Gator. It also says 'Potentially unwanted programs' and cannot be cleaned!! So I quarantined them. In the quarantine box I get this list
CMESys.exe
GDWldEng.dll
Glocl.dll
GStore.dll
GStoreServer.dll
EGGCEngine.dll
EGNSEngine.dll
GMT.exe
OSSproxy.exe
What are they? Are the harmful? My son downloads music from WINMX. Is it coming from that? HELP.

stalion 22:00 26 Jul 04

run ad-aware and do a seperate virus scan
click here
click here

Old Shep 22:04 26 Jul 04

You are certain to get nasties from any p2p filesharing and youve certainly got them click here You will need to run Adaware & Spyboy search and destroy at least to get rid of these.

GaT7 22:21 26 Jul 04

Remove WinMX - click here. Use safer free ones from click here or click here.

For Spybot click here. Also get SpywareBlaster click here. Enable protection after install. Check for updates regulary for all the ad/spyware programs. Good luck, G

0000jb0000 09:26 27 Jul 04

Thanks for quick response. I have run spybot and downloaded and run adaware. When I check again on McAfee for viruses it was clear so I shall keep an eye on it. God it makes you a bit paranoid!!! Will get rid of WINMX (although it doesn't have an uninstall option on it!!), so may be back with 'how do I do this'. Which is the safest free download for music? Dont want another bunch of nasties landing on my precious pc!!! Ta Ta for now.

GaT7 16:56 27 Jul 04

Uninstall WinMX from 'Add/remove' programs (or click here).

I'm not sure of the safest free program to download music (I don't do any), but you could try some of the free ones mentioned in my links above, unless someone else can better advise. Good luck, G

0000jb0000 08:44 28 Jul 04

Ta once again for your help. I have now got rid of WINMX and downloaded Shareaza (ta crossbow7). I downloaded some music then did a scan for viruses, and low and behold, no nasties!!! Will keep an eye on it. I've no doubt I'll be back in this helproom but ta ta for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…