Potentially serious CPU problem

wheelie 23:08 08 Jul 03

For no particular reason I decided to have a look at my BIOS setup this afternoon. I wish I hadn't!

The CPU temperature is being reported as 151°C!!

Now either there's something *seriously* wrong with my motherboard sensors or my computer is about to explode! I fear it may be the latter.

The weird thing is that there are absolutely no problems with the system - no freezes or program errors.

Am I just being paranoid?

The Sack 23:21 08 Jul 03

if your CPU was genuinly running at that temp it would have died. see if there is a BIOS update and see if it solves the problem.

wheelie 20:32 11 Jul 03

I decided to go back into the BIOS and watch the temperature for a while. The reading was going up and down like a yo-yo, which makes me think that there's something wrong with the sensor. Can someone give me a link to a BIOS update, as I've never done it before and don't want to get it wrong

The currently installed BIOS is AMI 2.0S dated 21/2/2003

Thanks

woodchip 20:35 11 Jul 03

If things are OK my recommendation is leave it. You may fry your board

wheelie 20:39 11 Jul 03

I think you might be right. Since it doesn't appear to be a problem, I think I'll ignore it until something nasty *does* happen.

Thanks guys.

One green tick coming up! :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…