potential OS problems

xptosmtbd 15:01 13 May 04

Hi, I am going to buy a second hand laptop from a friend. The OS is Win. xp home. I have just been told that if, for some reason the os crashes then I wont be able to re-install it, because I wasn't the one who bought the Laptop initially. They also told me that as soon as I tried to log on to the internet with this laptop that Microsoft would be able to tell that I didn't actually buy the os and disable it. Is this true?.....Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 15:11 13 May 04

When you buy the laptop, you should also get the licence and CD for the OS; if so, you have nothing to worry about. If you buy the machine without the OS you will have to bay an OS also.

But no, MS cannot tell that you are not the owner of hte machine.

spuds 15:47 13 May 04

Make sure that you have the original O/S disks, as installed on the machine, then you should be okay.

Microsoft only use the disk coding for activation, not any personal 'human' details.Once installed though, the disk will reconize the computer.

xptosmtbd 16:14 13 May 04

THANK YOU SO MUCH.....SANDRA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…