Potential major problem booting - XP Home

g0slp 15:15 09 Jun 04

A close relative (yes, really) phoned me to say that he couldn't get his PC booted up, & could I help.

I found that it was getting up to the Windows log-in, then restarting. I managed after several attempts to get it started using Safe mode, but it seems to have XP Home listed twice when getting to the 'options' part of the boot sequence. As I say, I've got it running, but he says that AOL had now reverted to v7.0, although he'd installed v8.0 a couple of months ago.

First thought was to run System restore; unfortunately I found that it was disabled :-((, so that was that idea scuppered. I also Defragged, whilst I was at it.

Now having Internet access on it, I discovered that the last AVG update listed was mid-February, although he swore blind that he'd updated regularly. (It took a few cold beers to stop me swearing...). I got a new update from AVG, & also downloaded some anti-Spy/slimeware stuff whilst I was on line.

I've told him not to shut the machine down until I try & get some ideas as to what to try.

I suspect that the best thing to do will be to backup as much data as possible, then do a full reinstall, but does anyone have an alternative 'fix'?

I don't understand why there's 2 XP loads on it, or what's happened to the AOL 8.0.

In W98 I could have run SFC etc too, but XP doesn't have that. (Or does it?).

Thoughts/fixes appreciated.
Regards, Mark

georgemac 15:18 09 Jun 04

click run type sfc/scannow with the xp disk in the drive

VoG II 15:21 09 Jun 04

In XP

sfc /scannow

should run the System File Checker

-------------

See click here

-------------

Did you or he try the Last Known Good Configuration option? I ask because I did a few months ago and it took some of my system back a long, long way for some reason.

g0slp 16:27 09 Jun 04

Thanks for your responses. I've got to drive 25 miles to get to the affected machine, so it might not be today, but I will post back in due course.

I'm still finding my way round XP! Didn't know about sfc/scannow procedure; I do now...

No, I haven't tried the 'LKGC'; might be worth a try too.

Reverting.
Thanks again.
Mark

g0slp 16:16 03 Jul 04

When I got there he'd done a full reinstall, having paid someone to get it done. I was a bit miffed, to say the least, & I completely forgot to post here after I'd calmed down.

So, thanks anyway VoG and Georgemac for taking the time to post

Mark

stalion 16:20 03 Jul 04

could have saved his self a lot of money

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…