Potential hard drive failure

Legslip 20:41 19 Jan 14

I have an old Dell laptop running the six Bicester with a Fujitsu hard drive. It has been regularly crashing and is a real problem to restart into Windows. I have run the Fujitsu software that checks the hard drive and it is showing that there is a problem. Is there any way of putting a clean formatted hard to drive into the laptop and copying windows and all user data over? I suppose I am cloning the hard drive but if it is not a Fujitsu drive that I insert will that be a problem with the BIOS etc?

lotvic 23:20 19 Jan 14

"if it is not a Fujitsu drive" The make of the harddrive doesn't matter.

How and what program are you planning use to clone the drive? - seeing as it's a laptop you'll need a cable to connect the new hdd to usb to do the cloning.

Legslip 23:56 19 Jan 14

Thanks Lotvic. I have a couple of drive readers that I could plug the existing hd into after removing it from the laptop. Are there any free cloning prongs you might recommend?

onthelimit1 08:49 20 Jan 14

I've started using the free version of Macrium Reflect. It works with any drive (although better on a PC where the drive is connected via a SATA cable than in a USB connected caddy).

onthelimit1 08:55 20 Jan 14

Alternatively, if the new drive is Seagate or Western Digital, both companies offer a free download of a slimmed down version of Acronis which is a programmes favoured by many.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…