postings and threads

mec13 22:50 17 Jul 05

I know this sounds silly, but it is the ‘Absolute Beginners’ section isn’t it.

When I first log on, the ‘Registered User Area’ appears, and a clickable link says ‘View your postings’

At the bottom of my long list it says ‘(Questions Answered) you can still post to this thread’

So!..... What is a ‘posting’, and what is a ‘thread’, because when I have ‘posted’ a letter, does that mean then the ‘reply’s to my ‘posting’ is the ‘thread’, and if I reply to that ‘thread’ or ‘posting’ does that also becomes a new ‘posting’ or ‘thread’. I get confused sometimes what to call these ‘postings’ or ‘threads’ sometimes. Does one reply to a ‘thread’, with another ‘thread’, or has one of those ‘threads’ become a new ‘posting’

Have I confused you?, well I ask you, what’s wrong with ordinary ‘Questions, and answers’ or would that be to simple!

Err careful! I am a 6ft, 17st rugby player.

Forum Editor 23:25 17 Jul 05

but as in all things there are conventions.

A thread is something that you start when you have a question to ask, or a piece of relevant news you want to share with everyone. It's called a thread because all the subsequent contributions are expected to follow the same thread of information - be 'on topic' if you like.

A post is a contribution you make to a thread - not necessarily your own thread.

So, you post a thread, and you post a post to a thread. Is that clear?

You be careful too, I'm a 6' 1", 16 stone Welsh computer consultant.

stalion 23:31 17 Jul 05

both of you be careful i'm a ten foot tall jolly green giant

lotvic 23:44 17 Jul 05

i'm little and i'm posting a little post on this little thread

mec13 00:53 18 Jul 05

So that means then where it says at the top of this page 'View your postings', what you mean realy is 'Have a look at your threads'. Hummm, us big fella's must stick together, I don't wont to stand out in a crowd, looking confused.

Simsy 07:02 18 Jul 05

means you can view all the threads where you have "posted", (i.e. made a contibution).

It gives you a list of threads to which you have made postings. You can read all the postings in all of these threads, not just your own posts.

I hope this helps... with apologies if it doesn't!!

Regards,

Simsy

watchful 08:10 18 Jul 05

A 'thread' is just a topic or question asked by someone and a 'post' is a reply to that topic or question.

Danoh 08:46 18 Jul 05

You post a reply to the Q, and you also post the Question or thread in the 1st place.

Danoh 09:51 18 Jul 05

So by "Viewing Your Postings", you see both Q's/Threads you have posted, as well as any replies you have posted to other people's Q's/Threads.

mec13 17:35 18 Jul 05

Well errr!..... I think its sinking in, life is so complicated sometimes, thanks anyway.

Forum Editor 18:25 18 Jul 05

One day it will make as much sense as some of the Rugby Union rules.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…