posting back as suggested

Newuser2 19:57 20 Nov 03

I've carried out the alterations to my site click here as suggested.
I think I've got it right, but if any one has any comments I'll be glad to hear them.
The only problem I have is that cannot get a link to work so that prospective guests can open up a larger location map & also down load a copy of the booking form.
I've contacted oneandone's tech help, but the response was not very helpful, (probably OK if you design web sites all day, but I don't).
Any help on that will be most gratefully received.

Pesala 10:25 21 Nov 03

There are two ways you can do the map thing. One way is to create a new page with the detailed map on it, and link to that page in the usual way. This is best if you want to put some text with navigation instructions alongside the map.

The other way is as I have done click here by linking directly to a graphic. Of course you will need to ensure that the graphic is uploaded too. In Page Plus I linked to a file on my hard disk, and it was uploaded automatically when I published the website.

Here I have linked to the whole map. You can also link to a hotspot on the map, which is handy if you want the user to be able to zoom in to Florida Pines, or to Orlando Airport.

Pesala 10:26 21 Nov 03

There are two ways you can do the map thing. One way is to create a new page with the detailed map on it, and link to that page in the usual way. This is best if you want to put some text with navigation instructions alongside the map.

The other way is as I have done click here by linking directly to a graphic. Of course you will need to ensure that the graphic is uploaded too. In Page Plus I linked to a file on my hard disk, and it was uploaded automatically when I published the website.

Here I have linked to the whole map. You can also link to a hotspot on the map, which is handy if you want the user to be able to zoom in to Florida Pines, or to Orlando Airport.

Pesala 10:31 21 Nov 03

Problem with this site again. A long delay at www. vibrantmedia.com

Pesala 10:37 21 Nov 03

You can create a booking form as a PDF file, insert a text link to that in the same way. Clients can then download the file by clicking on the link. Just link to the PDF file on your hard disk, as I have done in many places on my website: click here Hover your mouse over the text links to see the URL in the status line.

Your web program should upload the PDF file when you publish the site.

Taran 11:01 21 Nov 03

That's a general improvment to the site. There are still areas you could tweak here and there but it's getting there.

I'd change the name oif the hyerlink leading to your avilability calendar. Keep the link target (the page it leads to) but change the displayed text to something more relevant like Check Availability. You could do the same to the currency link on the Ticket/Car rental/Currency page - change the text in the link to something meaningful but keep the target as it is. That same page also has an unnecessary line break in the second sentence "are very hard if not <line break> impossible to beat".

A PDF booking form is only useful if you intend your visitors to download it, print it off and fill it in by hand since not everyone will have software that will allow them to actually edit a PDF file and you may not have the necesary software to allow you to create one in the first place.

If you expect people to manually process a booking enquiry form you'll put a lot of people off, but if you insist on offering this method you should upload a copy of your form as an RTF (rich text format) document for you visitors to download. This can be opened in pretty much any word processing package regardless of whether you run Office, SmartSuite, Corel, StarOffice, Apple Macs, Linux and so on.

Depending on your account type with 1&1 you will probably have PHP support. If you let me know what your 1&1 account type is and what information you want to collect from a form, I can help you sort out a PHP form processor that means you can have an online booking enquiry form. People type in their details in that form and the PHP file processes the form details and emails them to you and/or stores them in a database.

You're getting there though. Take a long look at the page content and search for errors because there are still a few in there.

Get back to me with your account type and I'll sort out a PHP form mailer for you.

Keep it up, you're on the right road.

Regards

Taran

PurplePenny 14:31 21 Nov 03

That's much better. The home page especially is a great improvement. You might want to change the name of the link "Photo gallery" to something like "Accommodation details" - I didn't go to it straight away and was wondering where all the info from the home page had gone :-)

By the way - you've still got the "walkin wardrobe" that FE mentioned before. The brain fills in what it expects to see, I read that as "walking" every time and find myself wondering exactly what kind of wardrobe walks!

Penny

Newuser2 15:15 21 Nov 03

Once again many many thanks for all your time & effort sorting out my problems. It is very much appreciated.
Taran.
The oneandone account is a MS Business.
The info I need for guests to complete is Name, Address, Phone Number, email address,Arrival date, Departure date,names of all people occupying the villa, flight details ie. times/airlines. etc.
I would idealy like for people to be able to download the booking form as well as allowing those who wanted to to fill the form in on the web. Best of both worlds so to speak.
I'll have a go at uploading a form in RTF as you suggested so you can see exactly what I mean.
Many Thanks.

Newuser2 19:36 21 Nov 03

Tried to upload a booking form in RTF but oneandone will only allow uploads in jpeg or gif.
I'm stuck.
I'll await your expert help.
I'm still waiting for the sortware from oneandone, all I've recieved so far is frontpage.
Many Thanks

Taran 21:28 21 Nov 03

Try it as a Zip file.

1&1 themselves use Zip files for your old site statistics so your web will at least accept it.

Put the document in a Zip file, upload it and link to it from your page.

It could be worth putting a link to one of the Zip programs for anyone who does not have WinZip, WinRar StuffIt or similar with a short explanation along the lines of "This file is zipped to speed up download but requires a program like WinZip to decompress the document within. Click here if you need this program... blah, blah".

See how you get along.

Forum Editor 02:22 22 Nov 03

a bedroom with its own bathroom is en suite, not 'on suite'.

Never ending, isn't it?

"oneandone will only allow uploads in jpeg or gif" astonishes me - they won't get many customers if that's the case. Perhaps if you give them a ring they'll clarify this for you, there's no earthly reason why you shouldn't upload a form as a Word doc - almost everyone would be able to handle that file type. One reason why ISPs sometimes get nervous about files for download is the fear of excessive bandwidth consumption if a site gets really busy. That said, they'll usually set a monthly transfer limit anyway, and charge you for any excess. A Word document will be a very small file size, and the problem won't arise. I suggest you talk to them.

Taran's ZIP file suggestion is good as well; my only reservation is that many casual Internet users tend to shy away from anything that looks too technical, and asking them to download software to open a file (even though it's free) is often enough to drive them away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now