Post WinXP install problems

AllThumbs 12:53 21 May 06

Hi all, (I'm running a slightly old, but not that old system - an Athlon 1800 with 1.5gb ram on an XP home OS), a little while ago I had a hard drive fail so I installed a new one and installed XP home on it (it came with sp1) and then installed sp2 on it.

Since then I've installed various progs on it but it's only been a month or so and windows is acting up.

Windows Explorer is continually crashing (freezing) and a lot of progs are freezing (PaintshopPro, CCleaner, Open Office etc).

[do you want to send a report to Msoft...no, I'd just like it to stop crashing!]

Sometimes it's during memory heavy tasks but I've 1.5gb of ram in the system so I should have spare, but sometimes Windows Exp just crashes as I open it before I get to do anything!

I tried running system file checker but that came up with no probs. Windows is completely up to date. I'm going to reinstall one of the problem packages but if the fault is in Windows it's not going to help much is it?

If I try to install windows over the top of itself bearing in mind my copy of xphome is sp1 and the system is sp2 am I gonna have issues? Would I be wiser to uninstall (if poss) sp2 and then run the repair and then reinstall sp2?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:08 21 May 06

If you have run Sfc with no problems then a repair install is probably going to make no difference. You are correct in saying if your XP disk is sp1 only then you will need to uninstall Sp2 first.

You may have a faulty piece of memory try Memory Test
click here
click here

before you reinstall.

AllThumbs 14:01 21 May 06

Cheers Fruit Bat - am running the mem86 test now...something tells me it's gonna take a while :p

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…