post virus start-up problem

Past caring 11:43 18 Nov 03

I recently recovered my laptop from a virus. Systemworks 2000 was unable to repair but quarantined the file (svcinit.exe). Now whenever I log on I get an error message about this file followed by another referring to the win.ini file. Not being over familiar with computers (I regard myself as an abuser rather than a user!!) do I actually need this file? What does it do? Can I copy it from my Win 98 CD? Any help appreciated.

TBH1 11:55 18 Nov 03

I think the win.ini file is created on installation and updtaed every time you change any windows settings. Maybe worth a look in it, see if there's anything obviously wrong with it - -but unless you know what your doing, don't amend it. I think you will probably end up installing your system, maybe worth a try restoring over the top of your existing.

beeuuem 12:08 18 Nov 03

From click here

Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
Type regedit

Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)

Back up the registry before making any changes.
To export all or part of the registry to a text file

Highlight 'My Computer' to export all of the registry, or click a folder to export only the contents of that folder.
On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
Browse to a location to store the exported file, and then type a name for the new file.
Note
The .reg files created by exporting can be edited by any text editor.

Do one of the following:

Windows 95/98/Me

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

In the right pane, delete the value:

"SVC Service"="%System%\svcinit.exe"

Exit Registry Editor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…