Post virus recovery problems

johndrew 13:56 01 Feb 06

I recently had virus which caused me to use `Restore` followed by a `Windows Repair` which appeared to be substantial. Whether this was the right thing to do I am uncertain, but as I couldn`t get onto the web I had no one to ask. My system is XP Pro.

However, I now appear to have two other problems:

1. Each time I start or shut down the PC my floppy drive lights up and stays on for a protracted period. This desn`t happen in `Safe Mode`. Obviously something has changed but I don`t know what.

2. I am having problems with installer. Both Java and Adobe Reader wanted to update but when I clicked the update icons they downloaded the updates but were unable to install them. Instead I got an error message that it had to close.

I have run Trend Micro SysClean, CWShredder, AVG Free, MS AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware and Spybot (all up to date) and they have found nothing. I tried to use the online cleaner at Trend Micro but the floppy drive went mad and I was told by the site that there was no disk in the drive. Eventually I had to cancell the attempt as I was getting nowhere.

Can anyone please advise me on a course of action?

criterian 16:05 01 Feb 06

Have you tried Avast (another free antivirus) and Spysweeper (there is a 30 day free trial of this available from their website). You can find the links to those sites from click here (as this is where I came across the link to Avast).

If these don't work, then it sounds as if you may need to format your hard drive and re-install XP (and every thing else of course).

johndrew 14:47 02 Feb 06

Thanks for your suggestion. I resolved the issue eventually but I`m not sure exactly what I did that worked!!! It couldn`t have been a particularly clever solution as I only ran all the virus/spy/ad ware again several times and used Windows Install Cleanup to rid myself of some bits and pieces.

Still alls well......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now