POST takes a long time and floppy not working!

*Silver*Hawk* 19:15 02 Jan 05

Hello all.

I have a newly built system and I have a few problems with it. Firstly it's an amd athlon 64bit 3000 processor with a MSI K8T Motherboard I think. When the computer first loads up, it gets to the boot screen and says auto detecting primary slave as usual, but this part take quite a while before it loads. I think approximately 10-20 seconds before it loads. Could this be because the hard drive and the dvd rw drive are on the same ide channel and using the same cable? Then it loads up as normal and there are a few messages which I don't know if it is normal. There is one which says Device not found, bios is not installed. or something like that and it all loads up fine.

My final problem is the floppy drive. It is recognised in bios, but the light is constantly on and when a floppy drive is inserted it does not recognise a floppy is in the drive. I thought I plugged in the cable wrong, but I checked it again and i'm sure the pin 1 is connected to pin 1 on both sides. Any ideas what else could cause this.

Thanks in advance.

ACOLYTE 19:19 02 Jan 05

It may be better to have the DVD and hdd on separate ide cables as they both like to be master drives,the only thing i can say about the floppy is either cable is connected wrong way round,or cable and/or drive is faulty.

LeadingMNMs 19:20 02 Jan 05

Not sure about most of your problems, but the only time i've seen a floppy drive do that is when the cables the wrong way round. Just try it the other way and see, you shouldn't do any harm.

*Silver*Hawk* 19:22 02 Jan 05

Ok. thanks. Will try it later and going to buy another ide cable tomorrow probably.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…